Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Curious about arm sensitivity - do you have any?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there fellow spineys. My question relates to neckies, but lumbars might experience the same thing with their legs.

When I first started having my cervical problems, one of the very first symptoms I ever experienced were getting painful goosebumps on my arms then chills on my arms then muscle pain. I found that my arms would get chilled easily and I know now that it was from the nerve problems I was having.

Now, 1-1/2 years later, I notice that my arms are still very sensitive and get cold easily, even when it's relatively warm outside. I tend to wear long sleeves all the time, even when it's warm, to keep my arms from getting chilled.

Does anybody else have this as an ongoing residual effect of cervical problems?

Just wonderin'.

• HI Cath,
    I just read your post, and although I have not had surgery yet, I realized that what you posted sounded familiar to me.
    It just started happening to me, and I didn't really know if it was associated to my nerve problem, but I was closing in on that assumption. I get a kind of prickly cold feeling in my arm that is affected. So I feel cold and hot at the same time. It's been driving me crazy, kind of like "skin crawling" feeling.
    Is this what you mean, or maybe it's something else in my case?? I was wondering if something else was wrong too.
  • Howdy Cath,

I still have what you are describing, and regrettably the last NCV showed most of my Ulnar and Medial nerves with "no response" from the cervical to the hand! I also have the constant "cold" feeling and too the physical temperature of the arm from the armpit to the fingers! I was told that my circulation was fine, but the temperature was due to much "reduced" electrical activity in the muscles, hence the temperature difference! Unless I am wrapped up in my covers, this cold sensation and feeling are constant. I am going for an 'in-depth' upper spine and arm extremities EMG (and re-do) and NCV Tuesday.

On the 13th, I have my surgical consult reference the status for cervical and lumbar - fingers crossed. You still have movement at C6/7, so maybe that is some of your symptoms source? There's got to be something to the 'heat' in your muscles from the nerves as I have moderate loss of motor nerve function from my L2/3 and the legs "feel" cold to the touch! The rest of my legs (served by the good levels) feel warm and normal. Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that is what mine are doing - and electrical testing is bearing mine out so far.

Does that mean permanent damage? Dunno! I guess I can add that to my list of questions, but my guess is it just shows there are issues with 'nerve signals' to those specific parts of your body? If you find something different, please let us know, as I would love to find what else it could be. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My herniation was pressing on the T1 nerve root. This effects the outer upper arm as spasms and sharp pains. It also caused increased sensitivity in my inner lower arm. After surgery (over about 3 months) this slowly got better. I still feel it occasionally. It's like a swollen tingly feeling. I also still have some numbness in that arm.
  • Cath/Kris, others?

Along with the temperature differences, have any of you noticed that while there may be no "constant" pain in your arms (relaxed position), but megga pain if you touch or press various muscles in the arms? Me for instance, the triceps from the elbow along to the back of the top of the shoulder to the base of the neck (yeah I think my C6/7 is still an issue), sensitive to gentle touch, but PAINFUL if the muscle (or sensitive) areas are pushed on? My guess is that is motor nerve verses the cold (sensory nerve) reaction? Thoughts, or do you all have that? Sorry, trying to make sense, and too, connect some dots. Thanks.

• Mine wasn't and isn't actived by anything. Before surgery I would get sharp pains almost like a spasm in the upper arm at random times. Didn't seem to be triggered by anything. The tingly numbness has always been a wide spread general feeling that is constant but changes in intensity.

In my experience the doctors decided what nerves cause what symptoms. When I tried to link my t1 nerve to these symptoms everyone insisted that only c5/6 could cause that. I even pointed out on the maps that they nerves cross and split. But because that was the medical gospel no one listened. Well amazingly I found a surgeon who believed enough to do surgery and it worked. I was turned away by two other surgeons before :(
  • My C6/7 was sort of like what you had Kris. Mine herniated into the right exit nerve root after a bloody yawn of all things! The worst part for that puppy was the *burning* in the right shoulder blade (which is below the C6/7 via Dermatome), and the triceps! Wow did that hurt! Post surgery now almost 9 months now, and in the last few days, triceps very tender to the touch (both arms), and very painful if pressed in a line all the way to the base of my neck. I am beginning to *hate* nerves anymore! (G)

You're right too, sometimes "they" are locked into "this and that pain is from this location only" and we suffer for it! I am glad you found a "realistic" doctor that listened and was able to help you out. :-)