Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help Understanding: How bad

gfranks65ggfranks65 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Greetings, new member here! I have been experiencing severe neck pain for the last 10+ years. I am 44 and in pretty good shape. I cylce 60-90 miles per week. The last 8 months heve been very trying. Finally gave in and had my neck looked at. X-rays showed c-4/5 and c-6/7 troubles.

MRI of the cervical region last week showed the following:
1. There is a small central disc protrusion at c-2/3
2. c-3/4 is normal
3. c-4/5 shows narrowing of the disc space. There is moderate size central and right central disc protrusion
4. c-5/6 shows narrowing of the disc space. There is small central disc protrusion
5. c-6/7 shows narrowing of the disc space with moderate central disc protrusion. There is mild impression of the anterior thecal sac.
6. c-7/T-1 shows moderate size central disc protrusion
7. In the saggital sectionthere is small central disc protrusion at T-1/2 and T-2/3

1. There is moderate size central disc protrusion ar c-6/7. There is narrowing of the disc space.
2. There is moderate size central and right central disc protrusion at c-4/5.
3. There is narrowing of the disc space at c-5/6 with small central disc protrusion.
4. There are small central disc protrusions at c-2/3, and T-1/2 and T-2/3.

I am scheduled for an EMG next Tuesday. So, what does all this mean??

Thanks in advance for any help and comforting words!!!

• What really matters is what do you feel. Many of these items could be causing you pain or no pain. Doctors only treat what is causing pain.

Try keeping a log of what you feel, when, what you were doing. THis will help the doctor determine what treatment you will need.

• Hi,
    First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many dealing with the same things as yourself. As far as reading your MRI we are not qualified to read them. As far as the EMG study what has prompted them to order this test? Do you have pain down one arm or both? If your having pain down one of your arms check out the video on cervical radiculopathy and see if your symptoms match any of the levels described in your mri. Keep in mind after the age of 30 everyone will show something on the MRI just the spine aging process. The difference is wether or not it is symptomatic or not.

As far as treatment goes there are many conservative measures than can be tried such as physical therapy, injections, massage therapy, accupuncture and medicine. I always suggest to anyone to try all of these before heading down the surgery path as doing surgery on the spine forever alters the mechanics of it. Just do your research when you see the doctor again and be preparred with questions. Check out the FAQ section at the top of the page and look at the links preparing to meet with a spine surgeon and 38 questions to ask a spine surgeon. I am not suggesting you need surgery, but rather will give you a idea of a list of questions to compile. Somethings you might want to learn about are cervical spinal stenosis. Disc buldges, disc herniations, nerve compression and vertebre. I would also look at a dermatone map of the spine and see if any of that is what your symptoms look like.

Just thought i would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • I was rear-ended 1 month ago and have been in severe neck pain since. The MRI shows C4-C5 Herniated and 2 other disc protrussions. I tried therapy, meds (narcotics, epidural and no success. I'm seeing an NS soon. should I consider surgery? I've been told that it's too soon not to rush into surgery, but I can't deal with the pain anymore. I would appreciate input.