Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5-1 micro-Please help if you can

joe stanleyjjoe stanley Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 6 weeks post-op and have had a big improvement, however I still feel pain in my lateral(outside) glute/piraformis, lateral hamstring and the most aggravating in my lateral tibia (by that bone that protrudes out of your ankle on the outside).

I did some light yard work (watering, a bit of bending pulling) and felt cured! the next day. So I decided to weedwack and mow the lawn on my rider (it was bumpy). I never felt any pain while doing this, except a bit of burning in the glute when coming back to an errect position from bending.

I am currently doing nerve glide exercises to help free the nerve and lots of walking. I ice everyday and take ibu and a half norco 2x's per day for pain.

Is your experience that doing exercises that is suppose to reproduce pain, but then go away shortly after, helps with recovery or would I be better off just doing my walking and no stretching?

I pray for all of us that suffer from these pains...emotional and physical.

Thank you, Joe

• hi there...sounds like you are doing quite well for 6-weeks post op. Remember, even though you feel good, you still want to take it easy up until 3-month mark.

I'm 12 weeks post op of a revision on L5-S1 so this time I was even more cautious.

Did you start PT? I'm asking b/c it sounds like you are quite fit and walking a lot. Physical Therapy has helped me rebuild Core muscles (I was very fit but since the 1st surgery didn't work, I hadn't really been working my core muscles for 5 months). They are working on stretching but also on building core abdominal and back flexor muscles and I can feel a difference when i'm increasing activity around the house (laundry, dishes, walking dog around the yard, etc).

Walking is great!
    Stretching from my understanding at 6 weeks is good as long as it's monitored which is why I suggest PT to make sure you get the basics down.

Icing is also good. I try to ice 1X/day and take about 2 ibuprofins & 500MG Tylenol at night before bed and seem to be good. If I'm working, I may take 2 more ibuprofins at work during the day.

My biggest issue is my leg numbness and related pain if I sit or stand still too long.

thanks for the prayers.