Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extreme Edema in Both Lower Extremeties from Spinal Fusion

palm12bppalm12b Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been reading this forum for some time and thought it may be useful to post some of the complications that my wife is having as a result of her L5-S1 pedicle screw fusion she had on February 22, 2010 to possibly get some feedback. She had a laminectomy/discectomy on the same site 3 years ago.

Currently we are about 9 weeks post-op and my wife has extreme swelling in her feet, ankles, legs and thighs up to the surgery site. The swelling began 2 days after the surgery. She is able to move about but with extreme difficulty. I am hoping that someone may have some advice from their surgery or experience that may help us.

The swelling is least pronounced in the morning but progresses immediately upon become active. We have seen the doctor who performed the surgery at 6 wks and 8 wks post-op and he seems to think that the swelling is due to inactivity. He prescribed her with lasix and compression stockings. Unfortunately the swelling is so extreme that the legs need to be wrapped by a nurse to try to get the swelling down so the stockings are a moot point.

I don't believe the swelling is due to inactivity because the swelling progresses throughout the day and is at it's worst in the late evening. We try to be mobile and go out to appointments and she tries to come shopping but she is forced to use a walker as she cannot get around properly and her mobility is extremely impaired.

She raises her legs when she goes to bed with 8 pillows arranged in such a way that it would make the builders of the pyramids jealous.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same swelling as my wife and if the found a diagnosis.

The pain she is feeling in her back and the legs is extreme and we are desperate to find out what is going on.

• I'm sorry you're wife has this pain and swelling in her legs. I would discuss further with her Dr. about lymph booties you usually wear after surgery that may help reduce the swelling. Did she have these while at the hospital? Hopefully she was sized correctly for the TED compression stockings. You only remove them at bedtime or in the shower.

I haven't had surgery but also used compression bandages at times also for more compression. Has she started Physiotherapy yet? I had to go for a ultrasound leg dopplers when legs were swollen just to make sure there is no occlusion to the blood supply to the legs. I just got a requisition from my Primary Dr. for that test. I also got x-rays but that was my treatment and not medical advice as only a Dr. can give medical advice. Is she using a cane or walker for her short walks? I hope the swelling goes down soon as she recovers. Prayers she gets better soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had laminectomy/fusion surgery on 2-8-2010. My feet and ankles feel as though they are on fire, especially when I urinate. Is this normal?
  • one question are you taking gabapentin/lyrica ?? because this can happen with this drug .if so again go to your doctors ASAP
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. your wife is very fortunate to have you looking out for her. i am sure she needs you very much right now!! i had a double laminectomy and did not suffer such problems. have you contacted your surgeon? i do hope your wife feels better soon. in the meantime, be sure you are taking good care of yourself!! get your rest and remember, you must be in good health in order to be of use to your wife!! so take care and drop by anytime with your questions or just to talk!! Jenny :)
  • I had my L5-S1 fusion done on 4/5/2010 and right at the two week mark I have the exact same fluid issue.

My surgeon is shrugging it off but, my Primary care doc is watching my Total Protein on my bloodwork. It was in the outer ranges of normal. 8.5 (normal is 6.3-8.1)

I believe that the surgeons use a protein goop ( putty ) to activate the bone to fuse. BMP2. Anyway, its all inter related my PCP thinks. He think it will clear eventually but to take care of the symptoms, hes given me 25 mg. of lasix Once a day to keep the fluid moving. Also Stay away from the salt, and watch the tension on the back brace for constriction. My fluid was so back my knees locked up . This sounds wierd but drink some decent amounts of water to keep salt content down.

I loosen up my back brace while in bed some as long as I dont move the area thats fusing. That all helps. In addition watch the sitting 15-2 mins tops because the water goes str8 down to the legs and ankles

I would talk to your Docs first prior to doing this , but this may help some. It did me.

Keep us posted