Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had my RFA

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Injections
Just wanted to share my experience with you all. It's been 6 days out now. He did C3-4-5-6 on the left side, and I have to say I can't remember when I wasn't pain free on that side!! Just a couple of twinges here and there, but nothing major, I haven't even had a cramp or spasm in my arm or hand!! Now I'm just waiting for him to do the right side and I'll be the happiest camper there ever has been!!
Hope you're all doing as well as any of us can!
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• That's great to hear the RFA is helping. Best wishes for the other side and getting some relief finally. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Had my first RFA last Tues will do right side on the 17 of May during the procedure my left leg went numb and had alot of numbness and tinging and I told the Dr what was going on and I heard her tell her staff that was helping she said ugh o she told me that this is part of the procedure and it will get better so last night as I was getting out of my car my leg went totaly numb and I couldnt fill my leg and I fail Thank God I didnt break anything was wondering jf anyone else have had this problem tried calling Dr office and she want be back until Monday Thanks foe your time Mike
  • No, I don't think that's supposed to happen :( At least, my doctor said they try not to get the nerves that go to the legs! My leg is a little numb (I had mine last Thursday) but I think it's because I fell on my butt on Tuesday.

Or it could be because he had to dig around a lot to find one nerve and it's pretty inflamed in there, I don't know.
  • How are you doing now?

• that they work well in the neck. I have mine done yearly in the low back and get great results. I always wondered if they would work as well in the neck but it makes sense that they would.
  • Well, I had the first set done at the end of Apr, on my left side, and it worked wonderfully! I am just now experiencing a little increased pain on that side, but nothing bad at all, so I'm so happy! However, and that's a big one, I just had my right side done last week, and it's been a nightmare. I'm so disappointed. And actually, the back of my neck on that side is all red, and swollen, and is numb unless you put any pressure when touching, then it hurts like an SOB. I can not believe the difference in experiences I've had. I just saw my pcp today, and he doesn't think it's an infection of any kind. My mom is a retired nurse, and she came to look at it for me this morning then ended up staying to take me to my appointment this afternoon as she was worried it might be an infection. I almost died of septicemia a couple of years ago, and ended up with cellulitis as a side effect of that, so now she's a big worry wart when it comes to things of that sort. I was able to get an appointment with my pain doc, who is the one who does the RFAs, for tomorrow morning, so I'll see what he says. We have no issues with my pain doc, we know he works in a completely sterile environment, and actually, my mom used to work with him at the hospital, so we trust him with everything.
    But anyways, the pain after this set right after was unbelievable. It felt like it did right after my surgery. I think all that it is, is that this is the side that the surgery was done on, so I think it just aggravated everything. When he was testing the nerves on one level, he did hit something that sent electric shocks right down my arm into my hand, so I really think that's all it is.
    But having said all that, I would still recommend it, as my left side is still doing so well!! Like anything else, it's all trial and error in trying to find relief, right? And it does work differently for different people (and apparently on different sides for me, lol).
    Mike, I hope that your leg is doing better now!
    Jas, thatnks for asking and hope you are doing okay, along with everyone else! Hope you all had a good 4th of July, we had a great Canada Day up here on the 1st, couldn't have asked for better weather!!
    If anyone else has heard of this problem I'm having I would love to hear what you have to say, I am still kind of worried about it, just have to get through tonight somehow...
  • Good to hear you're having less pain on the left side. I'm sorry you're having pain, redness and swelling a week after the injections on the right side. Hopefully you'll know more when the Dr. does his assessment.

I hurt my leg last week and I was looking at my leg today where our coffee table fell on me and I have 2 big bruises and was a little worried because it looks like I really hurt my leg and it feels tender to both areas and it looks a bit like it may be forming an abscess so that's got me worried but I have no fever or chills and the pain eases up when I put ice on it.

What did your PCP say it was and does he know you had an infection before? Hopefully your Mom is keeping watch to make sure you're okay but any more hesitation I would get it checked out. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ouch Charry!!! That must've hurt!!! I would get it checked out if I were you, too, you could have bruised or hurt the bone, too. Hair-line fractures are doozies to have to deal with, let alone soft tissue damage. Hope it heals up quick for you.
    The pcp didn't have much to say, he didn't think there was an infection, as he said it wasn't too wamr to the touch, a little, but not hot. I also am feeling ok other than the pain. I did tell him about being sick before and he laughed and said he didn't wonder why I get a little worried now, lol, but he admitted that he doesn't know anything about the procedure and wouldn't want to venture a guess otherwise, so unless something drastically changes during the night, which I highly doubt, I'm just going to wait and see what my pain doc says. Hope your leg gets better!
  • Saw the doc this morning, he said it was just neuritis, as I figured, and should calm down within a few days. Thought I'd share in case someone else ever experiences this too.