Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

joe stanleyjjoe stanley Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am still icing everyday, and curious to know if you "guys" find ice or heat to be more helpful towards healing? I do still have some lateral glute, ham and ankle nerve pain.

Thank you so much.

• Well, I think you'll find the answers to this question split about 50/50. I personally like heat because I tend to get cold easily due to nerve damage, so I don't like the thought of putting something cold on me.

However, when I was having arm issues pre-surgery, ice helped the arm pain.

It really varies in many ways whether ice or heat helps, but I'm sure you'll find many other responses that use one or the other and can explain why.

Now, didn't you find my post helpful? :-)
  • I'm only laughing cause here's my take on it.

Sometimes I LOVE ice. I will ice my back for about 15 minutes. (As long as it takes to go from cold to buning to numb.) It seems to do wonders. It numbs the back and the nerves that are inflammed will seem to calm.

Then there are times when the heating pad is the ONLY thing that will work. Not to mention it is SO comforting. Especially if I am watching TV or laying on the couch with my laptop. It seems to offer me the same relief as well.

I have been known to rotate the two all day long.

Glad I could be of more confusion, I mean help.
  • I use heat. I cannot stand the way ice feels on my skin. Nerve damage, I guess. Heat is soothing. But I know most are advised to ice.

Good Luck and Good Recovery,
  • I like Cath's 50/50 cause it is soooo true! I prefer ice, but when I want heat - I hit the shower! For some reason when I use the shower heat, its affects last longer than when I use a heating pad. Ice (hubby got me a fillable ice bag - love it) makes me so relaxed after work when I use it.

I hope one of them works for you Joe. Also, Welcome to Spine-Health!!! *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I find heat helps me in the morning. I use the heating pad on my lower back right after getting out of bed. I wake up very stiff and sore and have found the heating pad is the quickest way to get over that, particularly not that I'm back to work part-time.

In the evenings, for some reason I find that cold feels better now after being up and about more. I'm also suffering from some slight leg swelling so the ice is really comforting on that and I find that it helps any nerve pain that flares in the evening as well.

So, I'm a 50/50 person as well. I think you have to try both to find out what works for you. The heat helps me with morning stiffness from not moving and the cold helps me with irritation after moving.