Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TENs Settings

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Management
Quick question for the low back pain crowd: What pulse width and frequency do you usually keep your TENs unit set on?

My latest TENs unit burned out on me so I sent it back and got a replacement, but I forgot to check what I had the old one set on before I sent it back. My physical therapist did all the settings for me on that one, so I'm clueless as to what the "optimal" numbers are. Thanks :)

• Hi, Maybe you can try to call PT, even if you aren't taking it now, and see if they can review their notes to see where they set your tens unit. I have a tens unit too but change it frequently depending on pain levels,etc. Everyone is different and has different levels of pain tolerance and feelings with the tens so I don't think we could truly suggest a setting. Also, just a thought, my pt told me to play with it when my pain changes to find what works best then and to always start at the lowest settings/frequency. Hopefully, the new tens will have a booklet to show you the settings. I wish I could help you more. Maybe someone else will come along with better advice and help. Good Luck!

• Howdy Lala,

I got my initial settings from my PT. I then adjusted the Width, Rate and Ramp settings from there per comfort settings. In the booklet that comes with the unit (at least mine did) there is a baseline to start with, then you can adjust from there. I would get the best settings from your Dr. or PT first, then go from there. Take care.

Ps.. me (maybe it will jog your memory?) Width 130, Rate 130, Ramp 4 "Alternate"...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I put a call into my PT so hopefully they'll give me a call back with what my settings were. In the meantime I've got it set on Brenda's settings, and will just have to play around with it. I was thinking there was some "magic" number setting (if only it could be that easy :) ), but I guess it's a matter of personal preference and just finding what works.
  • Actually should not require luck!
    They should have the info in your chart!
    Else wise they would be clueless when you were getting treatments as to what they used last visit.
  • Lala,

Did they ever call you back with your settings? I put mine to jog, and too seeing you had the same disks, figured it might not be too far off? I hope your feeling better. :-)

Ps... I kept mine written inside the user manual that came with my unit in case my machine broke or something, and I would have them. ;)
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.