Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminotomy/ Laminectomy, Anyone with complications post surgery with these 2 procedures alone???

kflee0kkflee0 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

After many surgeon visits, advice, and help from this forum (especially from buckeyeback, scmguru, DNice), I think I am almost safe to say that I am not the best candidate for micro-d because of my BROADBASED POSTERIOR PROTRUSION.

I am left with one option (suggested by my surgeon), which is bilateral laminotomy or laminectomy, without micro-D at all. Does anyone here have any complications with just the laminotomy or laminectomy alone? I heard that if not done properly, it may cause spinal instability that may lead to fusion in later years.

I haven't discussed it in detail with my surgeon - something that I will do next week. I suppose the aim here is to cut out the lamina bone to create more space between the disc and nerves. Since it doesn't involve retracting the spinal cord, is there still a risk of damaging the nerves (i.e. the ones in the lateral recess)? Do I need to worry about scar tissues developing around the nerves and pressing on them?

Kflee0

advertisement

Comments

• Hi there...I think you want to ask some of the same questions you would have asked with MicroD or fusion.

- rate of complications
    - rate of success
    - recovery period
    - risks?
    - what to expect after surgery, for how long?

One of my opinions was recommending this as an altnerative to fusion (and revision microD). The reason was b/c it isn't a micro surgery so they would be sure to 'clear the way for the nerve and get the herniated disc out. Essentially they told me what your doctor is telling you about clearning the way for the nerves coming out of the spine.

As for scar tissue & nerve damage
    -> scar tissue would be a similar concern here if it tethers to the nerves. I would just talk to your doctor about his approach to recovery (walking, PT, etc.)
    -> Nerve damage is always possible from what I've heard. But there are options to have them do special nerve monitoring. It is a separate team that monitors while your surgeon operates. They used it on me for my revision.

The only other question I would have is about the the future. If you need a fusion, sometimes they will take the lamina (that they've removed to get at the disc) and crush it to use it to help you fuse. Now, they can also use bone from your hip, a cadeavor, or synthetic bone. I would just ask what they would use if you eventually need a fusion. I suspect that there will still be some of the lamina left for them to use but it was something I was curious about.

Good luck.
    I think a few folks on here have had this procedure.