Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Simplifying My Life

dustygalddustygal Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Water Cooler
Good Morning!
I don't know if this is the right place to pose this question...if not, please let me know. Anyway, due to chronic pain I am looking for ways to simplify my life...how to organize my things so that I have the least amount of trouble getting to them. How to keep my house at a respectible level of cleanliness, ect. How do all of you manage to do the things that are required of us every day? I find it harder and harder to do anything...

• Sorry...apparently my spelling skills lack a lot to be desired!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Its hard to identify what can help when we do not have all the specifics.

- There are items that can help with someone who is totally disabled, in a wheelchair, etc

- There are items for those folks that live alone

- There are different suggestions, depending on what the major issues are: lumbar, thoracic, cervical.

You will find that by reading many posts here that those people who are living with chronic pain for long period (greater than 5 years) just find ways to deal with it. Not to say its easy, but each person finds way to adjust.

I've been dealing with chronic pain for over 30 years now and over that time frame, I have come up with different ways at different times to make things somewhat easier.

But as I started, there are just so many diverse ways in helping, for anyone to hone in, we would need to not only understand your medical situation, your medication schedules, but your home environment
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry...guess I was not complete in my explanation..my apologies. I have had 3 lower lumbar back surgeries...the last this past September. Have had 3 fusions and a lamanectory (sp?)and am still under the care of my surgeon as some of the hardware has slipped.I take Narco and Sonoma and Klonopin and find it hard to accomplish much. I cannot sit for long nor can I stand for long. Before this last surgery I had been to pain management for 2 years...had so many shots in my spine I felt like a pin cusion. Along with another ruptured disk I had 9 cysts on my spine that had to be removed as they were causing severe pain due to the fact that some of them were involved with some nerves. The only time I am totally out of pain is usually when I first wake up in the morning...although that is very brief as when my feet hit the floor it starts all over again. I was in a wheelchair for quite awhile and am considering returning to it but am putting it off as long as I can.
  • I'd suggest if you are surrounded by none removable clutter, such as thing you simply can not do, pickup, move etc; Try calling local, redcross, salvation army, or health agency.

You can often find help from one of these agencies. To avoid a reoccurance, be very, very careful to simply not keep anything that you have not used in the last 6 months to a year, or know you will never use it again. Trash the trash, donate the rest.

There are also a lot of aids, devices to allow you to gain access to higher cabinets etc, if these are beyond your means, then turn the upper areas into long term storage and move as much as you can to the mid level you can comfortably reach.

My place looks like a small nuclear device was detonated in it. I am finally able to start the exodus of a lot of items. I hope, my "life" keeps getting in the way. One son left at home for another year. I know it sounds cruel, but with them living elsewhere I do believe we may finally reach a level of equilibrium and not have so much constant influx of clutter. We are having our local paper stopped and will start reading it online. Only get the Sunday paper, in paper. I know this hurts the papermans profits, but the piles of papers we recycle are 80% plus newsprint.

Hope some of these ideas help.
    Take care, and I agree with you, as long as you can stay out of the wheel chair do so. I have to think it will help you maintain a better outlook on life and get a little more movement throughout your day.
    My PCP has M.S. and he went as long as he could, when it is truly time, you will know.

Best wishes.
  • Clutter! Now that is an issue...my husband (whom without I could not have managed)never, ever throws something away...got to stop, now! I am in the process of getting a lower bar in my closet for my clothes...will help so much! I also stopped my paper...jeepers, I am not even able to take it to be recycled anymore and in my town they do not come and pick it up anymore...thanks for all your advice!
  • There are lots of things you can do. Some are big some are little some cost alot some cost nothing. First thing to do is make a list of what bothers you and then rank it from most annoying to least. Make another list of things you do every day and rank it from hardest to easiest to accomplish.

The next question is so you have help to get things done or do you need to hire someone? And if the changes will cost money can you afford that. If money is an issue then put a cost next to each item on that list so you can choose wisely.

I find that if things are a mess around me I get nothing done. When I psych myself into tackling the piles they disappear quickly.

Here are a few things that you might want to consider just from a tidy house point of view.
    - Do you have carpet? Can it be changed to laminate or tile? It would be easier to keep clean and easier in a wheelchair.
    - Is your kitchen organized in a way you can reach what you use most often? A trip to Bed bath and beyond could get you a lazy susan or other stuff to organize the cabinets. Also do you have a large enough garbage pail and another bin for recycling?
    - Pantry is a God send for me. I bought a bakers rack to put in my basement. That way I stock up when I have someone to help me carry the bags. There is always something to make for dinner on those shelves.
    - Around the house do you have enough garbage pails? I find I leave stuff out that should get tossed because I'm too lazy to go to the kitchen.
    - Knick knacks are a personal thing. But even if you love them you probably have too many. So sort through them. Box them up if you can't throw them out.
    - Bedding is something most of us have way too much of. I'm always trying to get rid of old sheets but they last so long its hard to throw out something good. Keep a winter and summer set for each bed. Then get space bags to pack the unused set in. This makes it easy for you or someone else who might be helping you. Costco carries them now at a really good price. I love space bags!!
    - Paperwork - IRS says 7 years for an audit so trash anything older than that. And my new favorite is to scan everything and keep it on the computer. I have an all in one printer so about twice a year I scan my bank statements, pay stubs, utility bills, insurance bills and anything else that is taking up room. I don't have a shredder because it just takes up too much space - my answer is to burn everything. Fireplace works or the barbeque. Just not on a windy day.
    - Computer - you are on here so that means you use one. If you have had one for more than 5 years it means you also have lots of disks that came with software. Get rid of what is outdated. The rest you can transfer to the thin jewel cases or even better a cd binder. That you can bury in a closet because I can guarantee you will never need it :)
    - Furniture is another problem. We usually add pieces and never get rid of anything. Take a good look around your house and get stuff out. It will give you more room to move around and it will mean fewer surfaces to leave junk on!!

If you need more ideas or inspiration try that show on discovery about hoarders. They give lots of tips on how to declutter and organize in a way that stays organized. It will also make you realize you aren't as bad as some people.

I can't wait to hear how you do.
  • I got a filing cabinet for all my paperwork from warranties to appliances to taxes. Before the filing cabinet I had an accordion file case from Wally mart for $20. or less. Also got a paper shredder for less than $20.
    I've found a support service for my city that supplies meals on wheels which I don't use that but I have the Personal Support Worker who comes into the house for 2 hours every other week and is helping me organize and clean my house one step at a time. Price is half price because of disability.
    The diabetes society will pick up items from your home while the other organizations you have to drop off gently used items. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN