Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wondering about kind of bed

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
my husband will need after surgery? Would it be best to rent a hospital bed or continue with our own one? Also-our bedroom is upstairs. Can he even do stairs after his operation or should we turn a downstairs room into a bedroom? We have a downstairs bathroom but the shower and tub are upstairs. Am I borrowing problems here?
advertisement

Comments

• What type of surgery is your hubby having?
    How old?..A little more info??
    Iam 33, had a l5/s1 fusion/hardware and I needed nothing of the sort. Then again i didn't have many stairs to deal with..
    All the best

• I am 54 and had a L4/L5 fusion 6 weeks ago.
    I have a bed (regular one) downstairs to make life easier. We arranged the bed before surgery, so didn't know how I would be. In general, I am much better than we expected. I could manage stairs as soon as I got home from hospital, but I must say that I still use the bed a lot. I sleep upstairs, but it is so nice to be able to relax comfortably alongside the rest of the family. I can't sit for very long, so then I can walk around a bit and then lie down. My husband has also raised the level of the tv so I can watch it from lying down in the bed.

If I was preparing for this surgery again, I would still like to have the bed downstairs. It has made the recovery more comfortable and less lonely. Also when visitors come, I can sit and chat and then lie down if I need to. Spending daytime in a different place to where I sleep has also been great.

I wish your husband a very successful surgery that will deal with his pain. Sounds like he has a very supportive wife. You will be a great help to him. :-)

Keep asking questions, and do let us know how things go.
  • A lot depends on how your home is laid out. How many stairs and if there are really good handrails. My house is all on the same level so I didn't need one. If you get a hospital bed it should also be adjustable which would be nice. I would say yes for at least the first 3-4 weeks.
  • I had TLIF at L5-S1 on February 2nd. I live in a 3 story house, with all the bedrooms & bathrooms on the top floor. I was able to do steps when I left the hospital and was allowed to go up and down 2-3 times per day.

Luckily we have 2 extra bedrooms so I was able to set up my recovery room how I wanted it without worrying about disturbing my husband's routine too much.

I would go downstairs for breakfast and lunch and walk around down there since there was more room and unfortunately we had a blizzard the day after I was released so going outside was out of the question.

I was extremely uncomfortable in any bed and spent most of my recovery in a recliner, including at the hospital, with my surgeon's permission of course. So, I was glad I did not arrange for a hospital bed in advance even though I had thought about it. We moved a recliner up to my recovery room in advance so I had one upstairs and downstairs.

I think a lot will depend on what type of surgery he is having and where he finds he's most comfortable, which is not always something you know ahead of time.

I wish him the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
advertisement