Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible experience nicotine replacement patch !!!!!!!!!

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Stop Smoking
hi all
as you know i have been trying to stop smoking anyway listen to this ...it has just happened ..i went to bed and fell asleep .,,,nothing new there ...BUT and its a big but ..i have just had the most horrific nightmare ever and i mean horrific .now i come to recall it may not sound too bad to you but believe me when i eventually manage to wake i was crying eyes out .i turned all the lights on and grabbed hold of my wife and would not let go!!,this is the dream.i am in my bed .only its a slightly different room i started to feel unwell and wanted to wake up {in the dream} the lights never work in the dreams do they.when i got up all the house was paneled in 1970s brown paneling with no doors and no lights i was running through the door that all the room s were the same with no light and no windows after what felt like a life time i found my altered bedroom but my wife had changed to someone in between my ex wife and my wife now and i managed to talk to her and say i need help .it may not sound like much but i am still shacking when i did RIP OFF THE nicotine replacement patch things became normal and i just got hold of kath and cried like a baby! i will never use those bloody things again ..now i realise that to you it may not sound like much but it was terrifying i thought that i had .had a stroke .i have never been so happy to see my wife and my house even my step son i kissed him and held his hand i was so glad to see normality.trust me folks it was so real .i dont scare easily but this was a near to death as i want to be ..i am still upset now and i wont be going to bed tonight .i am on my recliner with the tv and lamps on ,,this is a warning to any one quitting DONT put a patch on when you go to bed ,,i carnt stress enough that in some people you will have horrendous extremely real nightmares ,,good night from a very upset
tony ..#
PS i love you all xx

• Wow, that's a nightmare of an experience. Glad your wife was there to help. How long after you removed the patch before you started to feel better? Is there any correlation between a reaction to the patch and say a reaction to Chantix?

Glad you are okay now.

• Chanitx definitely causes vivid dreams. Not necessarily nightmares for me but very real dreams. Tony I'm sorry you had such a terrifying dream. You may not think it sounded scarey, but it sure was to me. Not being able to get out, no doors or windows, changes to your wife. That is really scary. I hope you feel better and can try to get some sleep.

• its about 9am here ,it was awful i have had nightmares before but this was so real because in the dream i had woken up so everything i saw to .me was real {i was asleep but it did not feel like that} i remember the patch in my dream and kath says me ripping the patch of woke her up .as soon as the patch came off i woke up but the memory was lingering on for hours ..i wish i could get over in words just how real it felt and how scary it was and why dont the lights turn on in dreams ..what's that all about ??! i don't think i will be able to sleep in that room tonight .i went in to get some clean stuff to put on and i could feel the dream lingering even in the day time ..that has never happend before .i think that a place were i spend so much time {my home } for it to take on a sinister bent ...somewhere i feel safe all of a sudden it no longer feels safe ..now that's how powerful that dream was ...there is a notice on the patches that they may cause vivid dreams ..this was a horror movie !! ..i just hope that i have a nice day today
    tony x
  • I had a similar experience with Cymbalta and it took quite a while to shake the images and feelings produced by the dream. I just had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't real and that it was caused by the drug.
  • Wow I can't imagine having such horrible dreams. I never remember them myself. I have tried and failed to quit smoking. I've used the patches, gum and chantix with no success.
    I have been 5 wks since my surgery with one more wk to go for my followup with my NS and am quite nervous to see how well I've healed from ACDF C4/5 and C5/6 fusion with hardware. Bone harvested from my hip.
    How much do you smoke now or have you managed to quit? It's so not an easy thing to quit.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This happened to my daughter's partner when he used the patch a week ago, he woke up screaming, my daughter was terrified

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Sorry to hear about that wild nightmare. I've heard that about the nicotine patch. I hope all is back to normal now that you're not using it anymore. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • your experience just scared the **** out of me. i been thinking about trying the patch but reading this i changed my mind, chantix didnt work ive cut smoking in half now i quess will have to completely quit the old fashion way (cold turkey) my beast
  • and nicotine replacement patches {these are from people that dont have back problems and would never come to our web site .or people just browsing? anyway .the main thing is many all over the planet have has similar experiences with NRT it tends to be males from what i have read i also posted on facebook too and got a lot of emails from that .at least i dont feel so silly now!! .but even after a bout a week i still can remember the dream .i had another dream about 4 years ago .my ex wife's brother died at 43 he was a fit none smoker none drinker and it was a surprise and very sad when he died shelley and i had spit up long time ago but we are still in touch i was sad when he died even tho in 12 years we never really got on he was a very quiet man and kept him self to my self but one night i had a very realistic dream that he appeared in my bedroom and i mean i could see him as clear as day ..again the bedroom clock was correct and it was ht middle of the night .i was unable to talk to him because i was scared because to me there was this man {just as i remember him } stood there about 2 feet away from me i wanted to wake kath to see if she could see him because the dream was so real ..then i woke up for real and of course he was gone but it was so realistic and that dream has stayed with me as well .its amazing what goes on in our mind when we are sleeping ..i just wish i could stay asleep for more than 3 hours ..its killing me i can see myself aging day by day i am tired all the time and during the day all i want to do is lay in my recliner and try to keep out of pain even going to the toilet is and effort .and to think i was so fit and active not that long ago ...i dragged myself to the swimming pool the other day and i do enjoy swimming but my body hates it and lets me know by giving me even more pain !!! can't win !!
  • i can totally believe him .i know that words on a page {unless you are a prolific experienced writer} will never portray just how scary these kind of dreams are .i remember viking having a similar experience about a year ago.its now the middle of the afternoon here and i am still upset about it because its was so so real and so scary .i honestly felt like i had woken up and had a brain event and was unable to communicate {i remember my grandad when he had a stroke and he was talking rubbish but i knew in his mind he thought he was talking normally ..i could tell by the look on his face when no one could understand him ..i could feel his frustration ..and i felt like that it was so real even the time on the bedroom clock was correct..when i managed to wake myself up and it was all normal it was such a relief i just grabbed hold of the wife and would not let go i was inconsolable {that is not like me one bit}..it was terrifying i feel for anyone that goes through it .i have been unable to do anything today as i feel drained and still scared ..god knows what i will be like when it comes to bed time tonight .i have had bad dreams before but by this time all memories of it have gone but this one is hanging on .we have a night light in out room {i used it after surgery so i could go to the loo without tripping up and hurting myself we have not used it for a long time ..but tonight it will be on ..i know i am a 44 year old man but last night i cried like a baby ..i think the hardest person in the world would have done that same ..since this event i have google what happend to me last night and i found loads of examples of similar events with people that slept with nicotine patches on ..and no i have not stopped smoking when i do i will go it like i did the last time ..i just stopped with no medical help and it worked for 10 years the first time and 5 the second .the first thing i did last night ..when i had calmed down .was light up!