Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper Back Pain after Lower Back Surgery

rahulj6415rrahulj6415 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have had a herniated disc (L4/L5) since 2003. After years of non-surgical treatments (physical therapy, epidural shots), I finally got a discectomy in March 2009. The surgery was successful and cured most of my right leg pain.

After about a month of doing post-surgery physical therapy, I started having muscular pain/irritation on my upper back on the left side. Applying heat or Bengay provides temporary relief. My orthopaedic surgeon does not believe it is related to surgery and asked to contiue to do exercises/therapy etc. Nothing has helped permanently and it has been a year now.

I recently got an MRI done of the upper back and it does not show anything.

I'd appreciate it anyone with similar experience would share their thoughts. I can use any and all help at this time.

• Sounds like you are using your upper back to compensate for what you perceive as lower back weakness. Since your PT hasn't been able to recognize this it's time for a new PT. Find someone who specializes in post-surgical. You need an excellent surgeon who will correct your posture and strengthen your core muscles so you stop hurting your upper back. This won't be easy because alot of this comes from your brain which says you need to protect your lower back.
  • I'm 4 years post surgery L4-S1 I just started to feel the same pain on my left arm and upper back. Do you have pain that goes straight across your upper back at times? That just started for me.
  • It's actually not at the same time I've been having the arm pains for about 4 months and the upper back pain just started a few weeks ago. The pain goes straight across my back. Feel like a strong numbing feeling
  • javyjjavy texasPosts: 1
    Yeah I've been having really bad upper back pain  now .....I think it's from never sitting up straight ,now I work at a computer and I try to have good posture  ,well now it's habit and it really hurts my upper back so bad I don't wanna hold my head up at times and just wanna Bend forward to relieve the pain what do I do help help help
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is an old discussion the member that created it hasn't been on the forum since it was created. I will close it.
    To get support I suggest you create a new discussion.

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.