Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The cable guy('s)

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Water Cooler
no not the Jim Carrey movie either....

Just a long wrambling post on the fun of Cable...

Yesterday was the "BIG" day. My son had asked to get the sports package, extended basic digital in cable lingo. All so he could watch College Lacrosse...My wife relented; Note: I asked for it and was rebuffed... Anyway, She called and they sold her a "triple play" package. Which actually costs us less than the verizon land line and our current phone bill. So, all in all it is a good thing, they promise not to raise rates for the first year and not more than $15 for the second.

So, we set the appt, yesterday 4-7 PM arrival with up to 2 hours of work time. I left work early, they had placed an automated call at 3:30 and my son had Ok'd that we would be home. I thought, good they will be here fairly early. Uh, nope, the automated call was, well, automated. They did not call again until 6:30 to tell us they would be there in 10 minutes. Then, they call again, their GPS can't find our house! I was pulling out poison oak vines with gloves on, so my wife ended up standing in front of the house until they found us.

Yay, they are here. The set up goes fairly smooth until the guy gets to the point of transferring our modem, which we bought, to the cable modem that handles phone service too. He does not know how to do that since we own the modem!
No worry he says, we will set our modem up and use it for phones, you can use your modem for internet and call the service tech center to get it sorted out tomorrow,(they close at 7) they will be able to do that from a remote location. So, he installs the modem, makes sure our phones all work and reconnects our internet modem saying it will work fine since nothing has changed.

I signed the receipt and he left, big mistake! When they sign off the job the "office" updates your cable service to add the new channels! Yay! uh, but our internet went down, boo! X(

The process starts, I reboot everything in order, nothing.
I did that three times, and tried calling the Cable company 4 times, arg, nothing but circular automated messages!

I next decide the cable guy may be wrong, so I moved the line to the "new" "phone only" modem. It works, I have internet! Then I connect my wireless and my switch, boom, no more internet. I did the reboot thing 3-4 more times.
Lost count of the calls to the company where I got no real person! I tried the old modem, the new modem. Occasionally I would get internet for a few minutes, never through any of my switches.

I finally got through to a real person on the phone! Using my cell phone as I figured they may need me to do a reboot and did not want to get cut off! It took over an hour of my explaining what the "cable guy" had done and told me. We finally had to get the new modem to reboot and with him on the other side of it got it to accept my wireless!

So, essentially, I worked on the system the Cable guy had "installed" in a half hour for FOUR HOURS!

How's that for service!

Confucius say; always check all features on your cable package before letting the "cable guy " LEAVE!

So, beware the promises of new improved service from the "cable guys"...

No offense is meant to any cable guys, I wish I was one, I could have probably gotten it fixed sooner! I asked the guy what hours they work. He said 10-12 hour days with one day off per week! Uh, no thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• That is exactly why I ignore all offers and keep my cable, phone, and internet service just as it is! I'm not up to dealing with all that stress to get updated, better than ever service for a better price! It's just not worth the hassle yet! LOL!
    Maybe someday....

Enjoy the new cable/internet service and be sure to go enjoy that sports package with your son whenever you can!

Kathy