Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoractic pain, and I thought i was having a heart attack

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Making a very long story shorter, my heart is fine, had a CT angiogram today. Now the story itself. I have been having chest pain on and off for several months, had my MRI of T spine saw the cord compression, was told pain must be from that, and I ignore the pain. Well 2 weeks ago I went to my GP who said I shouldn’t be ignoring chest pain, and she wanted me to see a cardiologist and have an echocardiogram. I have an apt for this Friday, anyway, last night the pain woke me up from sleep, felt like a burning knife entering under my left breast and coming out the top of my chest. The initial pain is 10+ and then remains and decreases gradually.

At the ER I told them I thought I may be having a heart attack, and they did an EKG, which was normal. The resident came in, and we were talking when I got another pain, I made a sound from pain, grabbed my chest and then my eyes filled with tears, which soon I was wiping and apologizing for. She asked if this was the kind of pain I have been getting all along, I said in recent weeks it has gotten worse. She told me that she thought I was going to need a CAT scan angio, and if that showed anything, would have a regular angiogram after that, soon they were giving me 5mg of morphine and hooking me up to the monitor. Then the nurse came in and asked if I had pain, I said yes, and was told a few moments before my Oxygen level fell to 85, which is low, and they gave me oxygen. As I said before the scan of my heart was normal, no calcium in my arteries at all, everything normal, except for my mitral valve which I already new. The only thing this test didn’t pick up was my small hole, which I will have an echo on Friday to see how it is doing. I am still having pain, but again realize it is from my back, so it is again livable. Doctor said I don’t have to worry about my arteries for at least a year…..I jokingly said if I get pain in a year does that mean I have to go thru all of this again…..he laughed, and that was that.

• So sorry you are having that many problems with it Ilene. I have had the feeling of a heart attack once so far and that was enough for me. It is horrible because you don't know what is causing it to happen to you. I hope they get you some help soon for yours Ilene.