Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going for another surgery

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am just checking in and giving some follow up info for some of you who have followed my posts and for those who have gone through similar symptons as myself, its a journey.

I am having a foraminotomy/laminectomy at L5-S1 to adress my ongoing back pain, sciatic pain on my left side since my RIGHT sided herniation was operated on last year.

I am really hopefull that this will ease my symptoms, and get me where I need to be and avoid a fusion for as long as I can.

My surgery is scheduled for May 13th and I am returning to work on May 24th!! I am a little nervous about that but my surgeon has promised me it will be a quick recovery. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for listening.

CONGRATS again to you Gwennie.....I'll see you on the other side!! LOL

• Thanks, Sandra. Who in their right mind would be excited about having surgery?? But, I am. I can't wait!!

Good luck with your procedure. As I told you, I had the identical surgery a year ago Jan. and I was pain-free for the first time in years. To this day I am trying to figure out why I didn't have any surgical pain. Maybe my whole lower back is numb, and I don't realize it.

I think you'll be OK if you just pace yourself at work, rest when you can during the day and then come home from work and get your feet up. Do not let inflammation get going. That's what did me in.

• Thanks for all your wonderful support as always Gwennie.

My surgery is just a few days away now and I am getting nervous! I am worried I go through all this an nothing changes, but I am really praying this will take away my horrible leg pain, numbness, tingling, weakness.....you all know the drill!!! That horrible sciatic symptoms!!!

I am scheduled for a Laminectomy, Facetectomy and Foraminotomy at L5-S1, I have to arrive at 7:00am Thursday morning, surgery scheduled at 8:00am! One night overstay in the hopsital.

Ok, I have some questions.............PLEASEEE!!!!
    After my last surgery I had problems urinating and had to have cathetar, I came home with it for a whole week before it was removed!! URGH!!!! I don't want to go through this again, I had to push on my stomach to be able to go and they told me I was not allowed to push, so if this happens again, can I push, pee and keep hush and avoid cathaterization??? Anyone else with similar problems??? Is it really that bad to push to pee, my bldder just didn't wake up for a while after anasthesia???? Just curious for thoughts on this matter!!

I also have bulging disks at L4-L5 and L3-L4, none of that is being addressed at this time, is it possible with all this surgery I will have a higher chance of these disks causing me problems in the future??

Sorry, I am rambling, nerves I guess!!!!!

Thanks for listening,
  • It's never a good idea to hide symptoms as serious as urinary retention post op. I know being cath'd isn't the most pleasant thing, but if it is needed, then it's needed.

When I have faced surgery with the uncertainty as to whether or not I would find improvement or not, I have to remind myself that "to not try" is worst for me. If I am offered a possible solution and I turn it down out of fear, then I wouldn't be able to live with myself. If the doc is willing to give it a go and feels there's a high probability for success, then I have to set aside my fear as best I can.

Good luck,

• I appreciate your comments, and I know you are right, silly on my part to even ask the question, but its what I dread the most!

I had my pre-op yesterday and the surgeon mentioned that he hopes he does not find scar tissue that has attached itself to the nerve because he can't remove it, he offers me no gaurantee about positive results that may make my symptoms better, but I told him just what you said, if I don't try this, I will never know if I could have had improvement and if it doesn't work atleast I am no worse off and I gave it a shot.

The surgery is in the morning, I will post and update when I can, I am remaining positive that I will have a good outcome.

Thank you very much for all the positve feedback and concern, it means alot to me,

• Best wishes and prayers for your recovery from surgery tomorrow. Post when you're able to and I hope it helps you feel better soon afterwards. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wishing you a successful surgery tomorrow.
    Hope you wake up feeling comfortable and that your recovery will be smooth.
    We'll wait to hear how you get on :-)
  • Sandra...I just want to wish you good luck.
    I'm like you and trying my darndest to avoid a fusion. I'm 3-months post op of revision microdiscectomy and the doctor thinks I'm doing quite welll. I've learned that there is a patience factor that comes with our backs.

I hope you fair as well as I did with 2nd surgery.
    I'll be sending positive vibes...take care of yourself and we'll be here for you.
  • Jellyhall...............I appreciate the concern and I hope bright sunny days lie ahead for you. I get frustrated too if my house is messy so I understand but hopefully your being a little kinder to yourself, I am busy tonight doing all the laundry, cleaning floors, doing dishes and getting it all done now because when I get home I know I have to take it easy. Hang in there, we are all in this together.

Charry................Thanks so much for your care and kindness.m I hope things are going well for you and I will post an update as soon as I can.

D-Nice..............you have given me hope!!! It is good to hear that you are having success with your second surgery. I know it requires patience, something I apparently have little of lately!!! I hope your recovery stays on track and no fusion in your future.

It will be a sleepless night tonight, Thanks to all my wonderful spiney friends for the well wishes.

• Thinking of you tonight and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a restful nights sleep and a positive outcome to your surgery tomorrow!

We are here for you when you feel up to posting! Wishing the best for you!

• I'll be sending positive thoughts and energy your way tomorrow...and some prayers that God will guide your surgeon and his team.

Try to do some deep breathing and visualization when you get in bed tonight. Find that calm in the center of your being. If you feel nervous, really focus on your breath...following it in and out.

Before you know it, everything will be over and hopefully, you will have as easy a time with this surgery as I did. I stayed in the hospital overnight, came home and as soon as I could get my husband out the door, heading back to the office, I made a pan of brownies. I don't know what it is about having surgical procedures, but I always crave brownies afterwards....

Hugs to you, Sandra, and blessings....