Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Weeks Post OP - 360 Fusion at L5/S1 - Doing Great!

TXLynnTTXLynn Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All,

I am officially 3 weeks post op today after a 360 fusion at L5/S1 and I am feeling very good. My surgery went really well with no complications and I went home the next day. I had my first follow up appt with my surgeon this past Monday and he said everything looks very good. WOW - was it weird looking at the xrays of my back with 4 screws and 2 rods in it. It just did not seem real. I actually have a 5th screw on the front of my spine with a small plate attached. My doctor said this is to keep my spine stable because of the spondylolisthesis that I had.

I am not experiencing any of the pain and tingling that I had before surgery. The doctor says the pain I am experiencing is just from the surgery itself because putting the hardware in place and re-aligning my spine was a lot for my back to handle. I am only taking 2 pain pills a day and I am walking a 1/2 mile two times a day and start physical therapy next week.

At this point I have to say that I feel like everything is going as planned and that my surgery has been successful. The recovery has not been anything near as bad as I expected. The anticipation of it was definitely much worse than the end result.

I hope everyone is having a great day. :)

• Yiiipppeeeee !!!!!!
  • Great to hear you're recovering so well and feeling less pain. I hope you heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • From one Texan to another~WooHoo!! You are doing amazingly well! Hope everything continues to go well! Be sure to rest as fatigue can really catch you by surprise!

Wishing you the very best!
  • Sounds to me that you are doing better than normal.

I've always felt the best thing about these forums is that after you read all the stories and are scared to death, anything but the worst surgery experience is going to seem "better than anticipated." @)

Just remember that even though you are feeling better than anticipated, it will still take a certain amount of time for your body to recover, and the fusion will not be strong and dependable for twelve months. So pace yourself, learn to develop good carriage, body mechanics and alignment. Avoid the bad habits you may have had prior to spine problems...etc. And keep walking, and resting.

I'm so happy that your surgery went well, and so far, things are going great for you. Keep up the great work!!
  • I am so happy to hear that you doing great.Keep up good work and don't over do it

• Lynn,

Glad to hear you are doing well. How many hours were you in surgery? I can't believe you only stayed one night. I too freaked out when I saw all the hardware. I did not beep when I traveled this past week, so that was good. I did a week away at the beach and did great!! I am going back to work on monday so I'm sure I won't be on the forum as much. I'm am almost 2 mo out, can;t believe it!! Keep in touch!! Lynette

• Sounds like you have had a successful surgery and that you are recovering very well.

I hope that things continue to go well for you.
    Doesn't it feel wonderful to be on the other side of surgery, and all that worry and anxiety is over.
    Do take care and get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.
    It is good to hear from you :-)
  • Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I am resting a lot and doing my best to listen to my body and not overdo it. I took my first shopping trip for groceries with my daughter yesterday and survived it. I was extremely tired afterwards and took a 3 hour nap when I got home. I have found as many if you have posted that it is really hard to figure out what is too much activity and what is not enough.

Lynette - I was in surgery for 3 1/2 hours and recovery for 1 1/2. My surgery was at 7:00 am on Thursday and I went home about 7:30 pm on Friday so it was more like a day and a half in the hospital. They were ready to let me go home around 3:00 pm but I was sleeping. I did not sleep much on Thursday night so my nurse told everyone to let me sleep until I woke up. The staff at the surgery center was amazing. I was extremely pleased with every aspect of my care while I was there. I am glad you enjoyed your vacation at the beach and wish you luck with going back to work.

Take care everyone! Lynn
  • that is great news and very encouraging. I just had my ALIF surgery 2 weeks ago.

I have to agree I never know what is too much, and to the person who said it catches up to you, I must agree I think i might have over done it and for 2 days I was really sore.