Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mental vs Physical

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Water Cooler
Well if is such a nice day I had to get out at lunch. I decided to stop at the grocery store to pick up something for lunch. Took about a minute for me to remember why I hate going out at lunch time --- all those seniors!!!

I had the lady who had to stop just inside the door to look at something so she blocked the whole entrance. The one who was stopped 5 feet in front of her. The one pushing her cart right toward me - I felt like a bullseye. The one at checkout ahead of me who was telling the cashier what to put in each bag. The one behind me who reached in front of me to grab a bag while I was paying. And the one sitting in front of the register having a cup of coffee and blocking the aisle. Oh and don't forget the one in the parking lot who almost ran into me because he had to get into that space -- guess the other 10 empty ones weren't quite right.

As I drove back to work it occurred to me that I would rather be physcially challenged than mentally challenged (read senile). I know we are all going to get old someday. It's just that physical challenges can be dealt with while old age just won't get better.

Sometimes it's a simple thing like a trip to the store to make you realize how good you really are!!!

• i came back to read this post a second time it just really got my attention.
    it was something i needed to read at this moment in time so around of applause from me to you!!
    just proved to me that the pity party that i have going on in my head at the minute for MYSELF!!! needs to close its doors and kick some ass!!
    thanks a milion i needed this!!

LOVE P
  • LOL..that is all I can say after reading this post. God bless the elderly..I love them..but when you are surrounded by them when you are in a hurry it can be aggrivating..on the other hand part of me wishes I could just slow down and not be in a rush like they are.
  • I thought that was funny I can't stand old people to. Ohhhhhhhh wait I am old. If 61 is old lmao

• 60 is the new 40 = didnt you get the memo??? You must have misplaced it. lol

I've been watching parents as they age. Mom will be 80 this year and dad 79. The past year or so has been a huge change. I can't pinpoint whether it is as they are less active that they are changing or if they are less active because the mind has changed. It's a vicious circle. It is certainly true that being active even in the smallest way keeps your whole body including mind going.

Another thought to throw out there is about retirement communities. They moved to a lovely one about 16 years ago. It was great. They played golf, joined clubs and socialized more than they ever had. Now most of their friends are gone and they are very isolated. Family is thousands of miles away and good medical treatment is an hour away at best. I truly think the loss of friends has contributed to their decline in the past year. There comes a time when it's time to retire from the retirement community.
  • When I have one of those experiences where everyone in my Universe seems to be determined to "slow me down" I have learned to listen to the message and SLOW DOWN. Often when that happens there's a reason. Maybe it's something I was meant to stop and see, read, hear, feel, say or do. Maybe those obstacles were put there to prevent me from rushing into harms way.

I Praise God for those Angels he sends messages through. Especially since I'm hard headed and he has to use so many.

Thanks for the reminder Kris.