Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? blood work as part of follow up visit

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 9 weeks post op 360 L4-5 fusion with decompressions at L4, L5 and S1.

I was wondering is anyone has had follow up blood work after fusions. I kind of remember at the hospital the attending doc to have blood work to rule out ?------tyroid syndrome that can happen after major surgery. It isn't written down.

I haven't thought much about it with all the other issues (follow ups w/surgeon, pain magment, ilio-inguinal nerve issues, PT, funeral, etc). But this week, I am just exhausted. I have slept so much, and could sleep much more, but I force myself to get up and join the world! But, I am just so tired!

I have been trying to force myself to go walk in the pool and I can't get the umph..

I know the easy answer would be to make an appointment with my endocrinologist. But, his office is so far away, with major freeways to get there. I may not ready to drive on freeways yet. My hubby has resumed his traveling and is generally gone during the week.

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone or if others have had blood work after fusion to check various levels.

It seems as if I would be building endurance....

• Do you have a medical Dr that follows you routinely? I'm sure he would do some basic things like a chemistry profile and complete blood count to see if anything is out of whack! You could have some anemia or any host of things to cause some fatigue. He would be a good start if you don't see your surgeon soon. Lynette
  • I hadn't thought of anemia, I had 3 blood transfusions after surgery....I haven't been eating much, just don't have much of an apppetite

Good idea and he is just around the corner.

Fatigue is just sooo fatiguing! :0
  • My surgeons never had me get any blood work done after my surgeries.

I have noticed a lot of people have low vitamin D levels after major surgery....

I found that it took a very long time to develop any stamina...maybe because I didn't have to, but, none the less, I think it was around nine months or maybe even longer.
  • I might be putting too much pressure on myself. Today's my hubby's birthday and I really want him to have a good night.

Yesterday at PT, I was ready to increase the difficulty of all the exercises I am doing.

Maybe I'm just anxious to feel better......I know, I know.....
  • I am 6 1/2 weeks post-op and my neuro had me go to clinic for blood work before and after surgery. dont know what they were looking for tho. maybe call your doctor and ask my best to you.
  • Call your doctor and talk to them and see what they suggest.
    They will probably say that you are very soon after surgery, but it is beter to check.

Don't push yourself too hard. There is still aot of unseen healing going on that takes a lot of energy. Try to eat well to build yourself up. Have you thought of trying a vitamin supplement?

Hope that your energy levels will improve soon.
    Take good care and rest and walk
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Did you have any infection going on after the surgery? That would be 1 reason for him doing it. And have you told him of your lack of energy? That would be another.
    My first surgery was a multi level 360. And it's very hard to bounce back from that. I didn't have a appetite for a very long time.
    Did you donate your own blood pre op? And if so were you taking iron supplements during that time and after?
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I had bloodwork done at my 10day post op appt cuz I was having low grade fever and trouble controlling my pain levels. They were checking for inflammation and infections. I did have 3 levels that were slightly elevated but nothing to worry about unless I was still having issues now (which I'm not).

Just a comment on the vitaminD...my surgeon has put me on calcium citrate with vitaminD to take for 12months after my surgery. I didn't question why but must have something to do with the post mentioned above regarding vitamin D levels after surgery?

I agree with the others, if you are concerned then contact the surgeon's office.
  • I hope you can get to your Primary Dr. and have your blood work results sent to the Surgeon. Especially since you needed blood transfusions after your surgery. I know when I was anemic my Ferritin (iron stores) were low and I had to take iron tablets. Could very well cause fatigue. I hope you get checked out and then start your pool therapy. I started Monday for my pool therapy and felt great under the jets in the hot tub afterwards. I'm only going once a week but so glad I finally made it there. Hope you're feeling better and try to drink ensure drinks or pudding. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I just starting feeling strong about over the last 4 weeks, and I'm 23 weeks postop, and did not need a transfusion. I would sleep till 9 am, which was very late for me. Listen to your body...you had a HUGE surgery. Don't push it...in the long run...it will not matter, except to exhaust you further.

Also, if you had 3 transfusions, you should have a follow up hematocrit at the least. It needs to be in the normal range (37-47). If it isn't, request an iron supplement. You may have to be very proactive with this issue. Also, do not accept a finger stick hematocrit, they are not accurate. Make sure they draw blood and place in a tube, and sent to a lab.

Take it easy, you've come a long way, baby!!!

• And hoping that you have had a very restful night.
    Wishing you a better day with more energy BUT don't overdo it.
    Be kind to your self.
    Yesterday was your hubby's birthday and you wanted to make it special for him.
    Today is your new spine's birthday (9 weeks?), so make it a special day giving it some exercise and LOTS of rest :-)
    This is still very early days in the very long recovery we all knew about!
    That is what people tell me when I feel that this journey is never ending.
    We knew it was going to take months, but it feels like it is going in slow motion, and when you can't do much, time DRAGS.
    Keep smiling my friend :D
  • One other thing they may be keeping an eye on is your liver enzyme levels. If you're taking medications for pain, inflammation, etc, it's something they watch pretty closely. I have to have blood drawn monthly for them to check. I agree with everyone else, if you're concerned, contact your doc. You've been through some major surgery, and you're still very early in your recovery. I'm at 10 months and STILL get exhausted so easily (2 level ACDF). You're just past the 2 month mark, you're doing AMAZING!!!! Call your surgeon, let them know that your fatigue is concerning you, and ask for testing to make sure that it's normal for you at this stage of your recovery. Trust me, as much as you (or your insurance) paid your doc for the surgery, they can do a bit toward easing your mind :))(
  • we had surgery a few weeks apart. I am still battling fatigue..Some days I seem to have energy and others nothing. I am on a Vitamin D supplement due to deficiency. I am also taking Zinc and Vit B6. I think it all has to do with the surgery. I also needed a transfusion while I was in the hospital. So some days I get a few minor chores done and other days(most) I sit around and look at all the chores that needs to be done..:)
    Your not alone!!
  • That is exactly how I feel! Then again, I remembered today during Physical therapy why I was so tired yesterday.....! I sure hope this PT pays off, 'cause if I weren't going, I'd feel pretty good most days. Might even get some work around the house done! LOL
  • I know..it is frustrating isn't it? Well we are all in this together so it is nice knowing you are not alone in this. And that others are going through exactly the same things.