Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no alarms at airport!!

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I can't remember who wanted me to post if I alarmed at the airport when I traveled but I did not beep. I forgot to mention it in my vacation post. I did take my brace off cuz they said if I beeped I would just have to go through more screening so I took it off and walked through. Didn't want them padding me down!!Piece of cake!! Lynette

• Lumbar and Cervical patients get titanium hardware. All of it. Nuts, bolts, rods, plates.

Non-magnetic and do not fire off scanners like security machines at airports.

People with steel hardware do though.
  • That's funny but I was thinking that this week b/c I took a business trip. Airline seats stink for lower back sufferers but that's another post.

But then I realized that it is titanium...but glad you didn't alarmt anyone.

I had a question -> do you where a medic alert bracelet after fusion? I suspect no since it's not a chronic condition like heart pacemaker or diabetes, etc. that medication can help but just curious.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    every time! I hate it! And it takes for ever! X(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Green titanium is the BEST!! LOL

Lynette, I'm glad you didn't trigger the alarm. I hate going through the whole process anyway. I can't imagine how fun it would be if you did trip the alarm. Or maybe it depends who is doing the pat down search ;) Welcome home!!

• Purple Titanium is best!!!

When I first returned to work post-op. One of the tards I work with showed up with a magnet to stick to my back. He was bummed out when it didn't work... LOL
  • DNice said:

I had a question -> do you where a medic alert bracelet after fusion? I suspect no since it's not a chronic condition like heart pacemaker or diabetes, etc. that medication can help but just curious.
    Howdy DNice,

I wear a Medic Alert 24/7. On it are my serious medical issues and potentials (Latex, penicillin, bees), and on the Medic Alert Foundation in my profile the fusions are listed along with medications and doses. When medical professionals call Medic Alert, that is one of the screens that comes up that they brief the ER on.

With cervical, it can affect intubation should it come to that. Additionally as a couple of different EMT's have told me, if you end up in the ER, they are more apt to fully examine your neck for possible fracture above or below the fused areas (same can apply by the way for lumbar fusions I am sure) - remember different stress applied now in your spine, could also translate to more (umm..) interesting fractures! Have a good one!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Purple is ok! It's my second favorite color :))(
  • Neck fusion titanium *will* set the detector off at the Kennedy Space Center! They have that sucker tweaked so sensitive -nothing- gets past it! I set it off, and NO other metal was on my person! I was impressed! Oh, and when they used the wand - nope it didn't go off! The screener then looked at me and asked if I had hardware in my neck - as he looked at my neck. Hehehehe...my hubby was amused! I wasn't! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I don't think I have a color of my titanium. I got ripped off!! Lynette
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Same here, no problem at the airport. Took off the big bulky brace, put it through the system, and then put it back on after I got through. I have a bone growth stimulator and didn't wear that for the entire trip (the charger had died but i knew I would not wear it flying as it's attached to a battery pack, etc)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Yep - when I saw the xray with all that hardware on my spine, I figured I'd certainly set off the machines at the airport, but not a peep out of them. In this day and age, that's a good thing, since they need to be so careful anyway. No sense making things more jumpy at the airport!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.