Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally seen by new surgeon about mri

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After having appointment canceled 2 times by the doc (that’s a long 4 weeks)
He looked at about 5 or 6 slides from the cd for like 60 seconds ejected the cd and gave it back to me he say there are not not a lot of options I have a very large tear and it looks like the disc is laying right on the side of the nerve almost so the disc is leaking on the nerves and when I am sitting or standing (mri done laying down )the disc Is
Probably on the nerve( that wood be the stungun pain) a 2nd micro-d would not fix the tear he say over time it may heal (like 2 to 5 years) or a fusion (6 months to 1 year)
I gave him the mri report after that same as he say it surprised and disappointed me how fast he was he got to the photo of the tear and was done time for fusion? but I still walk some what

• Sorry things didn't go as well as you had hoped for!

You don't need to tell me about the frustrations of having to wait to see a surgeon - I live in the UK and usually have to wait 3-4 months at a time!! LOL

Do I take it the surgeon has said fusion or sit tight and wait 5 years??

If this is that case what do you want to do??

have you discussed pain medication?? are you getting enough coverage??

Sorry to bombard you with questions just trying to get to the bottom of things here!

• John it looks like you need to make a decision. Sounds like you are in shock. The good news is that you don't have to make that decision immediately. If there was a risk in waiting he wouldn't have given you that option. Did he mention anything about ADR?

Only you can answer these questions. So think carefully.

-Can you live with the pain for a while longer?
    -Can you afford the surgery and the time out of work?
    -If you have the surgery when would be the best time for you, assuming you can wait?
    -How is your overall health? Should you wait to get in better shape before surgery?
    -Is there anything going on in your life that you need to schedule around? ie weddings, baby, sick relative

While it stinks to have more problems at least the problem is identifiable and fixable. I'm not a big believer in the disk fixing itself. If this happened enough every insurance company would make you wait before allowing surgery. I also wonder what happens to that disk material that is floating around by your spine.

Take some time to get comfortable with what you now know. Talk it over with family. Get another opinion if you question your doc at all. If you decide to have surgery plan it to your best advantage.
  • it only took me 4 weeks to go nuts with the mri report
    3or 4 months would not have been good
    i don't know what to do now this 6 weeks and back to work micro-d is going on 14 months still can not work or drive sit stand more than 30 min at a time.yard work=i started the lawn mower last month pulled the cord 2 times (no not a honda)shut it off and layed on the grass for a hour
    trying to go on ssdi so i can get early retirement from my job to keep my insurance going then maybe go for fusion or may try working 2 days a week i dont no i have gone nuts i cant get my head around it
    yes at least i no what is wrong now i new something wasn't right at 3 months post micro-d jist not so major
    the surg say adr may not be a good choice because of the lamenectomy dose not leave a good base for the disc witch wood let it slip
    pain =by or way before the end of most days i am done ib dont work vicodin some times
  • Your posts are very hard to read with no punctuation. Like you are just rambling on. Not clear at all what you are doing or want.
  • Yes i don't no what i am doing. :O)
    What i want is to be done with this crap and get on with my life. :D
    Hard to read with no punctuation, sorry i have been texing the kids on the cellphone makes me lazy.(drugs don't help ether) 8}
    :B ya i did not like English class in school :P
  • john 40 said:
    What i want is to be done with this crap and get on with my life. :D

This is a statement that most of us would agree with. It is very hard to have your former life taken away.

(drugs don't help ether) 8}

10-4 on the drug part. It does get easier.

:B ya i did not like English class in school :P
    Ya, english wasn't a favorite of mine either. Didn't/doesn't come naturally. Figured you were from the texting generation, but that doesn't make it ok to read.

Hope you get some answers that you can live with.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I see you may be seeking SSDI. Does your employer offer any Short Term or Long Term Disability? (STD or LTD). Or some type of disability retirement?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I've felt your pain (literally). I had three levels blown out and the docs in my area told me to wait it out. I just could not function, so went up to Portland (2 hours away) to get my three-level fusion. It's taken 18 months of recovery, but I'm finally pain free. Hellish, awful surgery, but worth it for me in the long run. Life's too short to suffer like that.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZ yes std ran out last month no ltd i did not think it take so long to recover from a simple micro-d
    you no 6 weeks and back to work and the old surg doc saying all the weird pains and numb tingling and stun gun stuff was the nerves waking up Even at 7 month after surgery in tell i gave his nurse a copy of the new mri report he really wants to see me now.
    if i could figure out how to get threw my finances i think i would do the fusion .
    at this point i do not think i will ever be able to go do my job and be productive or reliable 40 hr a week witch was more like 60 to 70 i am good friends with the owners of the comp they wood let me work less but it wood not be fair to them. i have a very good retirement (21years)but can not go out early without approval letter from ssdi. so i am kinda stuck
  • ya it really blue me away when the surgeon said there are not a lot of options (even after looking all the mri report findings on google) i kinda knew what he was going to say .
    i just thought or hoped he wood have had something to try first
    Did your foot numbness ever get better? my left outer foot an heal has never came back but i have decided that's better than the pain before it went numb