Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally decided to have discectomy

MeeshaMMeesha Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I caved and decided to go for it. Waiting it out is not going to work for me. Based on everything I've read, most people don't regret having this done. I'm really glad for this forum, and especially all the advice for how to be careful during recovery. Anyway, thanks to everyone who's responded to my questions. I have more realistic expectations now and I'm not expecting 100% improvement, but I think I'll be better off. My main fear is of a re-herniation, and having practically nothing left of the disk. Anyway, I have a month to go still before I have it done.
discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• Hi there...glad you took the time to consider all angles of this and that you are in a good place with your decision. The key is that it is a very personal decision and everyone's results do vary which is why you have to do what's right for you.

Just curious, are you having a discectomy or microdiscecomty? I think they are the same but one is more 'open' and the other is micro meaning it is a 1-2 inch incision and they are working with microscope basically.

I'm curious which you decided on.

As for reherniation? I think you just have to be very careful the first year. I'm doing ok at 3-months post op of a revision microD but am constantly reminding myself to listen to my body, not twist, not bend, not lift, and to continue to work on my core muscle group and walk. The other thing I have to remind myself of is drink water and try to take time each day to 'destress' b/c stress doesn't help. Again...it's about making wise decisions. If I take a 2-hour car ride, I just stop every 30-45 mins to walk around for 5-10 mins. It means I won't make record time but I've learned to kick back a little in life to enjoy a pleasurable drive.

Please keep us posted on when the surgery is scheduled for.
  • I have decided to go ahead with surgery tor fusion of L5S1 and disc replacemet. I have Grade II spondy and ruptured disc. Severe pain since Dec. Have had 2 injections with little relief and some PT but thereapist looked at MRI report and said You need surgery. I am hoping that this will end all pain being that I hope there is very little nerve damage and doing early instead of waiting will make the difference in recovery and getting back to a relatively normal life.

For the folks that have had surgery and are still having problems did you wait to do the surgery until you had no choice or early?
  • Whether having a discectomy or a fusion/disc replacement, you need to be gentle with yourself after surgery and give yourself time to heal. I had a three-level spinal fusion in November 2008. The pain prior to surgery was horrendous. The recovery was really, really tough. BUT, I am finally back to walking like myself, the pain is pretty much all gone, and I just deal with a bit of stiffness every now and then. There comes a time when all the injections and PT in the world aren't going to help. Some conditions need stabilization, and some nerves really need the relief of having damaged discs removed from them. When it's time, you might as well do it and get on your way to recovery.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • :) Thanks, I kind of feel that way. Just fix it and be done.
  • Hi Connie - I just had a 360 fusion at L5-S1 on April 15th that I put off for over 5 years because I was scared to do it. It has gone really well and I have no pre surgery pain and tingling. I find myself wondering why I waited so long to do this. Don't get me wrong, the recovery is tough but so far I am really glad that I went ahead with it.

Take care and good luck! Lynn
  • Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I had a laminotomy and an L$-5 Discectomy .I took myself off pain killers because I was experiencing side effects that I did not want to deal with .I am having numbness in my left upper leg(thigh) .I have not started PT yet ,my surgeon wants me to wait 2 more weeks