Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got bad news on the job front today

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well if dealing with this surgery and my recovery isn't enough...I received a call from my supervisor today. She had bad news..She said that since my 90day job protected FMLA is up she is posting my job. She doesn't want to but is being forced to. I have an unusual job where I work for a major hospital in the area but have a contracted position at a local factory. Well the factory doesn't want to wait so they are forcing her hand to post the job. She felt terrible because she promised she would work with me. So I work for the hospital still but when ready to go back to work will have to apply for a new job. After a short cry I am trying to think this is happening for a reason.
I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to return to that job anyway since I was the lone nurse or medical staff in the plant.
I feel tearful about the whole thing but am trying not to let this hurt me too much. Im already under enough emotional stress with recovery. As the primary breadwinner in my family this is just more stress.
Hopefully I can get a position in a doctors office again when I am ready to return to work..

• Tonya,

I am sorry you got that kind of news today. Worrying about a job is really the last thing you need on top of recovery. It sounds like you know what you have to do once you are better, so try not to worry too much. Stress is not good for recovery!

Best Wishes,
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I know that's tough. When I got that message last Fall I was devastated....yet I knew it was coming. I am lucky that I had employer sponsored STD and LTD, so we still have income coming in.

I'm at that stage where everyone says I should stay on disability and file for SS yet I'm not ready to. In fact we had considered moving up to Wausau as there's a major insurance company I was sure I could get a job with. But now....unless hubby finds a Wisconsin job I think we're here for the duration.

Best of luck to you. I'm not sure how far from Wausau you are (if I recall you are up north) but there are two major companies that may be a good source for you when you are ready to go back to work (if you are looking for daytime work).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks guys..I live in southern Wisconsin south of Milwaukee actually. I think I can still find a position within the company I work for. It is one of the largest employed hospitals in the state. I just really liked my job there. It was a shock that is all. I also have employee sponsored LTD benefits and they will continue to pay for an additional 15months if need be before termination. I know I will be better before then.
  • Oh Tonya

I'm so sorry. I know that must be very difficult to even have to worry about a job issue now with having to heal and think about your back. I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason and I'm sure something better is waiting for you!!! Lynette
  • Dear Tonya, I am really sorry to hear your news about your job. Being in a similar situation myself I realised how much my job defined me. Hopefully this is something you can put to the side and not let it get you down too much. Hopefully there is a better position there when you are ready to return to work and just think of the extra empathy you now have for spineys.On a good day I can see how experiencing health issues can make us stronger people with greater strength of character. It still is a blow but take care and a big gentle hug and good thoughts to you. Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • For that disappointing news.
    I know you were worried about how you were going to manage on returning to work, but it is still sad to lose that job. Would have been easier if you had made the decision.

It is good that you still have a job; it will just be somewhere new.

It will be a new job for your 'new' life. Once you have settled into it, I hope youwill look back and be glad for the change because it will be easier on your back.

Take care and keep moving towards your improved life :-)
  • Tonya,
    You have my sympathy I had three young children when I lost my job and as you say it is an emotion event, you seem to have had some inclination that this would happen during that time scale and even with hat knowledge it is normal to feel aggrieved. Time imposes changes that we have limited control and we are mandated to address the reality, even thought we have limited input in its creation.

Our jobs become who we are and many here work hard to maintain that position while in pain, it is not easy. You will survive this event as many do here and be stronger and wiser, you are already planning the future with new goals and ambition, when the time comes again you will be ready to meet those challenges.

I am now employed in a role far removed from the first one I did and continuing to perform within my imposed capacity.

Take care and keep posting.

• Just remember, when one door closes, another opens. I know how badly this hurts you, and it is always worrying to have to start anew, but when you are ready, you may find that your new position will be one you enjoy even more than this one.

Try not to worry overmuch, just get through your healing first. Of course, that's easy for me to say, and so hard for you to do. We're all here for you (huggles)
  • My heart goes out to you. I had my dream job when my cervical issues started, not stressful on the body, a graphic design position that I just loved. One year after I started I got a heafty raise and an additional week of vacation as incentive to stay with the company because I had a job offer from another company that I couldn't refuse and they didn't want to lose me, so they matched what the other company offered. I was so happy not only because of the extra benefits, but I really loved what I did and our little company was like family. Then my cervical issues began and a few months later I had to have a 3-lvl ACDF surgery.

Of course, I had signed on to STD and FMLA kicked in after my surgery (the STD pay was 100%, very unusual) and when I got back after STD and FMLA were over, three days later I was laid off along with half of the company. I had been paying into LTD, but didn't sign the papers to keep on with it after I was laid off thinking I was just fine now but now I'm very sorry I didn't. But, I was able to get unemployment and Cobra.

This seems to happen with a lot of us for some reason and we have to chalk a lot of it up to the economy, I think.

Hubby and I have managed and like most here, I believe things happen for a reason. I still mourn the loss of my job over a year ago now, that's how much I loved the job, the company and the people, but there are other plans in store somewhere down the road.

So, I feel for you and understand how the emotional pain adds to our physical pain, but you'll get through this and find something that won't be so stressful on your back.

I wish you luck along with wishing myself luck. LOL

Take care,
  • Tonya, I am in your same boat but just a few more months into the deal. I had a cool job at the best paying company in our region. I did it for 18 years with this back problem getting worse. Anyhow, 90 days after my fusion surgery, I got a notice saying that the job I'd done for so long had been posted. I knew it was coming, but still, to see it in print really sucked. Now I'm on long-term disability and I face the same thing you do as far as when I'm out 15 months I'll be plumb gone from the company. If I can go back before then, I can apply for another job. Thing is tho, it won't be the cool, fun (sorta) job that I had. It'll be some entry level, dirty and hot shit I don't want to do. And I'm not sure if I'll be able to ever do real hard physical work again anyhow, so it may be moot.

I'm a steel mill railroad worker, a medical 1st responder and a biker, so I don't cry (on the outside anyhow), but if I did...this situation would sure bring it on!! I feel for you indeed. I have no advice, just profound empathy.

Sorry you're going to walk my path,
  • Sorry to hear this happened when you're trying to recover from your surgery. It's really hard in the medical-Nursing field. You do your best at a job and the administration just decide to cut here and there not even caring about each individual and they wonder why there's a shortage. It's the business world that is harsh and hard to understand. Let's hope that when you're recovered from your surgery there will be something better there for you. I pray for your complete recovery and hope there's a better job for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words. I think I was in shock yesterday that it happened. I felt numb and cried a few times. Then I couldn't sleep and was up till 5am..but took a very long nap today to make up for it.
    It almost feels like I got fired from the job which isn't really the case. Nursing jobs are out there everywhere but with my back I am limited to which ones I can do.
    I am hopeful things will work out for the best.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

Be sure to ask for the LTD policy. You want to have a copy of that in your hands. It defines benefits, gives you clear idea of what they are evaluating your claim on, etc. And if there's a chance you'll be unable to return to work apply for SS now, even if you later shut down your application. It takes SO long to get approved. My LTD requires I apply now (been out 1 yr) and I can't see never returning to work but I have to do what they say!

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Heya Tonya! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and wishing the best for you! I work for ECI~Early Childhood Intervention. ECI programs are in all states in the US providing services to babies and their families from birth to 3 years of age.

As a nurse in this type of setting, the physical requirement would be minimal. May be worth looking in to. It's a wonderful setting and a gift to work with these babies!

Feel free to PM if you want more info!

• Sorry about your situation with your job. Hope that things work out well with your job!! I'm in a similar situation, and have no idea if or when I will ever be able to return to work. What SpineAZ said about LTD/SSD is very important to check out. She really kept me on task when I was at the end of my STD, and it took almost 6 weeks to get the LTD in place. The LTD did require me to file for SSD, of which I did the first week of March. Two weeks ago I received my letter of denial for SSD, and in my state there are no appeals, so the next step is to go before a judge, which will not happen for 18 months, because of a back log of claims. Just food for thought.

• I filled out all of my paperwork and sent it back today for LTD..There were questions on there about if I have filed but it did not say I had to file for SSD. I am only 38 years old..I in no way want to be on disability long term.
  • Many disability insurance companies require people on LTD to file for SSD or you can not continue receiving LTD. It is for their protection, just in case you are on LTD for an extended period of time.

They will let you know if that is a requirement.

I felt just as you about being on LTD. It just became evident that it would take more time than I thought to get strong enough to do my job. I will be 6 months post op in 12 days, and am still not able to return to work. I am following a strict regimen; walk at least 15 miles/week, PT with yoga 2-3x/week, eating healthy...so, in time I'm sure I will get there. Every week I see very small positive changes...it sure is a test of patience, though :-)

• that you are dealing with this right now. Nurses and really all medical staff are always in high demand. Try to stay positive and I will bet that something good is headed your way!
    Good luck and keep us posted.