Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain management with rehab

dustygalddustygal Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
Good Morning! And, to all you moms, Happy Mothers Day!
Ok...on to the point. As of next Monday I will learn if I have to have another surgery...I cannot tell you how I feel about that...disgusted, depressed and angry are terms that come to mind right off the top of my head. But...if surgery is not an option I have been looking at Drug Rehabs where they offer physical therapy for chronic spinal pain sufferers. I mean short of a pain pump I don't see any other option. I have had so many spinal injections my back looks like a pin cushion and none of them gave me more than 3 or 4 days of relief. Right now, I take 80 mgs of Narco...and Soma...but, my need for more continues to increase. My main problem now is lack of exercise...my skin, even on my legs is just hanging from atrophy as I can't walk but a little at a time and in great pain when I do. I can't sit long, can't stand long, can't lay down long and am totally disgusted. I look around my home and see the things that need to be done and I just cry. We are underwater on our mortgage so their is no moving so we are stuck in a property that is going downhill at a rapid pace and I just feel if I could get rehab and off the pain meds my energy would come back...sorry this was so long..what is your opinion?

• Have you talked to your doctor about whether it's the medication or the pain causing your exhaustion?
  • no,I haven't but I see him a week from Monday...I can't think of any other reason. I mean the last fusion was Sept 11th so I would think my body has recovered as far as surgery goes...I just don't know what to think...
  • Well, stranger things have happened than a fusion not getting rid of pain.
  • Good luck at the Dr's appt. I still have a lot of pain and some days I feel that I am ready to get off meds then I get wacked again with the pain. Was the fusion so far successful? Are the bones starting to grow? My fusion L4-S1 was in Nov 2009 and I am getting shots again. I know how frustrating it can be when your tollerance to these meds increases and for me anyway I wish I didn't need them anymore! My Dr said to "be patient" like we all haven't heard that one a MILLION times. The shot did help the pain going down the legs but not the pain from surgical site going outward. Good luck!!
  • Dusty - love your Avatar by the way!!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I find out this coming Thursday if I am having another surgery. This will be my 6th nerve surgery in 2 years (3rd direct spine). I share similar in so far as mad, disgusted, depressed...when does it end? I try to stay positive. You seem to be positive from many of the posts I have seen. Positive energy heading your way!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Oh Brenda! I try and stay positive but today is not one of those days! I will get better as the day goes on! This was the 3rd surgery and I guess I had unrealistic expectations...but, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the pain as bad as after surgery as before! I see the pm Dr this Thursday and then my Surgeon this coming Monday to find out what they will do...they seem to think that there has been some hardware movement...oh well...I hate to say it and I guess it's a ad bit of negativity showing through but I refuse to get my hopes up high again! I am bless in my life to have a supporting husband and great grandchildren...I could count the negatives but why bother...it sure won't change them! I do know that I wouldn't wish this on anyone (even my x-husband!!! lololol!)
  • Dusty,

Similar shoes on my feet here! Though my Lyrica is controlling a LOT of my neck related pain, I have more loss of my arm and hand now than before surgery! I so far have gone into each of my surgeries with realistic expectations, but have been lucky (till now) in that I faired better than I expected.

On my EMG taken last week, it reports that I have "Upper Motor Neuron Lesion" from (root) C5-C8. I had no clue what that lesion stuff was, so I looked it up - according to the trusty old Internet, there is nothing they can do for it, it is progressive and disabling. I find it real hard in my logical brain right now to buy that "Impression"...so as my hubby said, "We will wait to see what Dr. Pxxx has to say about it". I am scared at the prospect, but am not to where I am going to accept such a *cough* "finding" like that right now. Thursday is almost here! (G)

No problem with "not getting your hopes up" Dusty. I can fully understand and respect that. Just try not to let it drag you down. Like my hubby told me, wait and see what the doctor says before I "let" it freak me out. I guess I will pass the same advice your way? Please keep us posted. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Dusty,
    We all have lists of things we could do and it is not easy adapting to being unable to do the simplest of things that we once accomplished with ease, this is a learning process and takes time. Some of these are things that we want to do and are no longer capable and we then need to prioritise every task, as not everything is now achievable.

We all tend to focus on what we cannot do, rather than our achievements, surviving pain everyday is an accomplishment in itself it may not have the status or panache of our previous capability and that understanding or tacit acceptance is never easy.

It is key not to blame yourself this condition imposes incremental restriction that we have to adapt, many of the patients here are exercising while taking medication and trying to survive with constant pain, we need small success to build for the future and a plan of what works and what does not.

My own walking ability has become increasingly problematic and almost non existent, I have adapted well to finding what I can do and use those windows of opportunity to progress, every day is a new one. I have been on a residential PM it did help, it may well help you manage it more effectively, we all need reasonable expectation of what may be possible, getting off meds is only valid when you have no pain and it is counter-productive to try to manage pain with minimal or ineffectual dosage.

Change for us is not easy, this is a new lifestyle you are entitled to some negativity and in acknowledging it you may be able to find alternative areas for improvement do stay realistically positive and be kind to yourself.

Take care

This discussion has been closed.