I thought i would drop by and post my 9 weeks post op progress - Highs and lows, good and bad.
- I am running a couple miles every day, there is no longer the shooting pain down the shoulder / arm with each step. My arm used to go numb when I ran, but that stopped a few weeks ago.
- I am in the gym again lifting fairly heavy weights 3 times a week, and have been doing so for about 4 weeks now.
- The neck is completely pain free, full ROM.
- The effected arm is still noticeably weaker than my good arm. Particularly the wrist, bicep, deltoid. I am getting used to this more now, although it still gets me down.
- The atrophied muscles in my bad arm did not yet gain any bulk, despite intense weight workouts a few times a week. It is very noticeable when I look in the mirror, quite frustrating that no progress has been made in that department, although i work my hardest to stay fit and do what I can. what more can one do?
I thought there should be small signs at least of muscle growth by now, but I will continue with what I am doing and hope for improvement as time goes by, although for some reason I feel instinctively that I should not be too hopeful.
I am working real hard to get back to something close to my previous form, and am a bit dissappointed there wasn't more improvment in strength. The bad arm is definitely stronger now than pre-op, from the weights / gym I am doing, but only within its injured limits, and it remains weaker and skinnier than the good arm.
Anyway, I realise I have it pretty good compared to a lot of people in serious pain here. It has been around 17 weeks since I first injured my neck, and it has sure as hell been a life changing injury and a rough ride for me.
Thanks for the space.