Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 weeks post op - Highs and Lows of an ex fitness fanatic

TonyDiscTTonyDisc Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I thought i would drop by and post my 9 weeks post op progress - Highs and lows, good and bad.

The Good:

- I am running a couple miles every day, there is no longer the shooting pain down the shoulder / arm with each step. My arm used to go numb when I ran, but that stopped a few weeks ago.

- I am in the gym again lifting fairly heavy weights 3 times a week, and have been doing so for about 4 weeks now.

- The neck is completely pain free, full ROM.

The Bad:

- The effected arm is still noticeably weaker than my good arm. Particularly the wrist, bicep, deltoid. I am getting used to this more now, although it still gets me down.

- The atrophied muscles in my bad arm did not yet gain any bulk, despite intense weight workouts a few times a week. It is very noticeable when I look in the mirror, quite frustrating that no progress has been made in that department, although i work my hardest to stay fit and do what I can. what more can one do?
I thought there should be small signs at least of muscle growth by now, but I will continue with what I am doing and hope for improvement as time goes by, although for some reason I feel instinctively that I should not be too hopeful.

I am working real hard to get back to something close to my previous form, and am a bit dissappointed there wasn't more improvment in strength. The bad arm is definitely stronger now than pre-op, from the weights / gym I am doing, but only within its injured limits, and it remains weaker and skinnier than the good arm.

Anyway, I realise I have it pretty good compared to a lot of people in serious pain here. It has been around 17 weeks since I first injured my neck, and it has sure as hell been a life changing injury and a rough ride for me.

Thanks for the space.