Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF at C6/C7 in 2 days But now have Curvature Lower Spine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had bad discs at c6/c7 for over year and finally have an operation in 3 days but I have just had an xray of my lower spine as I have a lot of pain, legs hurt and get pins & needles, I have a quite big curvature of the lower spine. Now they will review this after my neck surgery, but any ideas why i would have this, seems suspicious so close to the onset of my neck (6 months apart) could this be DDD, Stenosis or some other degenerative condition or just coincidence? thanks

• There are a lot of us here who have problems in different parts of our spine.
    I have neck, shoulder and arm pain with tingling in my fingers and lots of headaches. My surgeon said we'll sort out one level at a time - I'll do the neck later!!! I also get spasms and tightening in my thoracic spine. I hope that won't get worse. Thoracic surgery sounds awful!

Wishing you a successful surgery and that you will soon be feeling much better. Have you taken a look at the 'must have items' for post surgery?

You will get lots of support here. How are you feeling about your surgery? I was very nervous, but it was better than I had feared. :-)
  • Hi thanks, I also have pain, pins & needles and weakness in my left arm, shoulder and hand, they all stem from nerves crushed by my C4/5 & C6/7 discs so thats the surgery on Saturday. Im feeling good and have one of the UK's top surgeons doing my op, Im luck to live where I do!! im just worried that I now have a moderate curvature to the side in my lower spine and more discs gone, ive never had any spine issues and the lower back started 6 month after the neck. I hope its concidence and not DDD, Spinal Stenosis or some other genetic issue
  • I am in the UK too.
    Where abouts are you?
    I am hoping that physiotherapy that I will start next week, will help me to strengthen my back and help to avoid my other problems getting worse.
    I think they will give me advice as to how to move about in a way that doesn't put stress on the rest of my back.
    I am writing a list of various pains and problems that I have to try to get them to help. This will be private physio, and hope that it won't be like the NHS where if you mention anything that is not what you were referred for, they won't talk about it!

Do let us know how you get on with your surgery.

How long will you be in hospital?
    Have you got bendy straws for drinking afterwards, and lots of soft food and lozenges for that sore throat afterwards?
  • I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery. I hope you have someone to help you at home afterwards. Take care and post when you're able. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Jelly - Im in Bristol and thank god as the top few surgeons are in this area, I will be good as I have my wife and friends / family to help, but with 2 young children its going to hard on my wife looking after us! I feel pretty guilty... Im ok about th eneck and have come to terms with it a long time ago, its a shock seeing the curve in my lower back and the pain from that is now bad, so top and bottom issues. Im a keen mountainbiker so pretty hard not being able to do any sport!!

• My very best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. Are you having it in an NHS hospital?
    I hope that you will wake up with minimal pain and that your recovery will be uncomplicated and swift.

Will you have to wear a neck brace after surgery?
    Hopefully once you are fully recovered and fused, you'll be able to get back to mountainbiking :-)
  • thank you!!

I am in a bristol hospital NHS but the surgeon is one of the UK's top spine surgeons. Neck brace im not sure about yet, if I am its a short while only. He is going to use an artificial disc replacement.