Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain

VerleenVVerleen Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi, I'm Verleen and new here. I searched the site and really don't know where to post this.

I have post polio syndrome and many neurons for my back muscles are permanently gone. As a result, my back get very fatigues, weak and painful. The only thing that helps is to recline and rest the muscles. This problem has gotten worse since my triple by-pass surgery in March. My back fatigued out over simple trips to the bathroom for example. I've checked the rehabilitation hospital in the area and they do not offer anything for spinal rehab. All they have is the treaditonal PT, OT, etc and related equipment such as treadmills, bikes, etc. To use this equipment, a person has to have a functioning back. They just don't get it.

I am looking for a program that will strengthen and preserve the muscles/neurons that I have. Overuse destroys my neurons. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution? I would like to be able to do more than I can now. Thank you. Verleen

• There are some rehab hospitals and clinics that have heated pools for aquatherapy to help strengthen your muscles. I found the aquatic therapy center online. Best wishes and hope you find somewhere to get some proper therapy. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry said what I was going to suggest. Many people on the board have had good results with some sort of aqua therapy program. It is not to be confused with aqua aerobics or other similarly named programs.

Aqua therapy is done in a warm (like 90 degree) pool. They work on stretching out the muscles and getting some movement and strength back into the muscles and soft tissue. There is much less stress since you are in the water.

I think something like this might be ideal for you. Try calling around your city to see if something similar is offered. Some YMCA's offer a program like this.

You might be able to find a PT that could design a safe program that you could do at home. I know the only type of exercise I can do now is ones where my back is completely supported. A guy I go to adapted some standard exercises that I can do lying on the floor so that my back remains in proper alignment. I can use light weights and get a bit of a workout. Perhaps you could find someone to help you in a similar way.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.