Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and need MRI help.

logannamathllogannamath Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been having back issues with a herniation of the L5-S1 and moderate spinal stenosis and the same at level L4-L5 but recently I have been dealing with numbness and burning in my fingers and some weakness in right arm. I had a previous c6-7 fusion (ACDF). My neuro ordered an MRI and this is what the report says...I need help as I dont see him till next month and its freaking me out.

Previous ACDF at C6-7.
No evidence of fracture. Retrolisthesis of C5 over C6. Mild osteoarthritis of the anterior C1-C2 articulation. Normal craniocervical junction.

C2-C3: Unremarkable

C3-C4: Left uncovertebral process osteophyte/disc bulge complex slightly flattening the left anterior margin of the left lateral recess. No significant central canal stenosis or neurologic compromise.

C4-C5: Broad based disc bulge. Bilateral uncovertebral process osteophytes. Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Narrowed anterior and posterior CSF spaces with moderate central canal stenosis. Patent intervertebral neural foramina.

C5-C6: Decreased disc height and hydration. Prominent broad based disc bulge. Large central and bilateral central disc protrusion which impinges upon the ventral aspect of the spinal cord. Associated ligamentum flavum hypertrophy which obliterates the posterior CSF space. Normal T2 signal of the spinal cord. Severe central canal stenosis. Mild stenosis of the right intervertebral neural foramina and severe stenosis of the left side.

C6-C7: Patent central canal and intervertebral neural foramina. Postsurgical changes in anatomical alignment.

C7-T1: Shallow, broad based disc bulge but not significant central canal stenosis or intervertebral neural foraminal compromise.

1. Large central and bilateral central C5-6 disc protrusion with uncovertebral process osteophytes and broad-based disc bulge, coupled with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy obliterating the CSF cleft around the spinal cord which indicates loss of normal functional reserve of the central canal. Preserved T2 spinal cord signal. Severe stenosis of the left C5-6 intervertebral neural foramina.

2. Moderate C4-C5 central canal stenosis secondary to disc bulge and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy.

3. Status post anterior spinal fusion at C6-C7 in anatomic alignment and patent central canal.

• i totally understand your reasons as to why ur freakin out!!! I don't know why they give us the results-i read mine and they FREAKED me out too..my orthopedic surgeon told me that people with a pain free back could get an mri, and the results could show severe problems, yet the person has never experienced back pain in their life. Take my nan for eg, she had sciatica (not too bad) and they gave her an mri..the results showed huge abnormalties and yet shes never had anything. Another eg is my scan, im 23 and hurt my back a year ago. Ct only showed some degenerative changes, minor scoliosis and disc bulge-but i am in severe pain...i have looked up ur results and this is what ive found:

retrolisthesis is a posterior displacement of one vertebral body with respect to the adjacent vertebrae to a degree less than a luxation (dislocation).
    Spinal stenosis is a medical condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal cord and nerves. This is usually due to the common occurrence of spinal degeneration that occurs with aging. It can also sometimes be caused by spinal disc herniation, osteoporosis or a tumor. In the cervical (neck) and lumbar (low back) region it can be a congenital condition to varying degrees. Some patients can have a narrowed canal without symptoms

i have googled all of my results. Just dont believe everything u read. Everyone is different, maybe u could call ur doc and try to move the appointment to a closer date? Good luck with it all and let us know how it goes :) There is plenty of info on here and most of the ppl are lovely :)

• The less freaking out you can do, the better. That doesn't just apply to chronic pain but to life in general.

I am sorry to read you are in distress, but should remind you that none of us on here is a physician or radiologist. We can't and don't read each others' imaging reports.

We frequently do offer shoulders to cry on, soapboxes to stand on, and commiseration. So, if you wanted to share your symptoms, how long you've had them, etc., that we can sound off on.

I've found great peer strength on this site and hope you do too.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    that there is no member on this site that is qualified to provide you with an analysis of any MRI Image or Report.

That information can only come from doctors.

Any information you receive from members here is solely
    based on their own personal experiences and not sound formal medical advice.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you both for the info :) I have been a cervie for many years. I just live with the pain but in recent months it has gotten worse. I actually started seeing my NS for my lower back. I have the herniation at L5S1 with annular tears and a bulging disc at L4L5. Both with moderate stenosis. It took me a long time to go back to any dr as they never treated the pain. This new dr I found has been wonderful with helping..meds and nerve blocks. I have had 3 so far. When my neck started up recently with numbness and burning in my pinkie, ring and middle finger and arm weakness I mentioned it to him. I could live with the other "normal" pain. He sent me right away for an MRI to see what was going on. I do understand some of it...I was just suprised to see the extent of it. I thought maybe just a small herniation on the level above my previous neck surgery. The reason behind my ACDF was from an auto accident in 1993 and 1995. Both times I was hit from behind. So while I have already been there and done that..I am NOT ready to do it again :(
    I cannot get in sooner as I also work doing cleaning...which is crazy sounding..but I love it. But it is definetly crippling me when I am done. I also run to keep up with 2 kids...one in multiple sports so basically I get by. Sleep is not something I get much of...gggrrrr...LOL
    I understand that no one can diagnose me here. I was just hoping someone had something good to say...like this is no big deal and it will get better...LOL
    Thank you both again for your replies. I look forward to getting to know everyone and reading a lot :)
    Have a wonderful evening :)
  • good luck with it :) like i said, dont believe everything u read, but thats just what i saw in google. goodluck
  • Logan, Sorry to hear of your problems, I too have cervical neck problems and I too also clean for a living, I love it too but it kills me when I am done. I used to be able to clean two houses a day but can no longer do it becuause of the pain in my arm, neck thumb etc. Good luck on finding the answers you seek, I know its hard to wait, I started seeing docs for my neck issues in Jan of this year and am really thinking surgery is my answer, just to free up my c6 nerve. Let us know how you are doing! Lela