Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

soooo tired!

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm about 2 1/2 months out from my MicroD and six weeks out from finding out I had an infectionat the surgical site. I am just so dang tired all the time. Most days I don't leave my bed unless I absolutely have too. I sleep anywhere from 10-18 a day, and when I'm not sleeping, I'm laying down watching tv. I have to get out of this rut, because summer is here, and my kids play ball, and we get super busy. If it wasn't for all the rain we got this past week, I would have been in trouble because I wouldn't have gotten the kids where they need to be.

And now on top of already being tired all the time, I'm starting to wean off my fentanyl patch, which is going awful even though it's only been two days! I ache all over, and can hardly lift my head I'm so tired. I know this will eventually pass, but hasn't it been long enough yet??

I go to my doctor tomorrow and am thinking about asking him to put in PT, just to get me out of my house and moving. I just wonder if he will allow that though because I still have a hole the size of a small bouncy ball in my back and I'm still on the antibiotics, and the wet to dry dressings.

I jsut want to get out of my bed!! (well kinda, it is really comfy here LOL)

• I'm sorry to hear you still have the infection dragging you down. Best wishes for your Dr. appointment and hope he clears you for some PT to force you to get out. I'm so glad to go swimming and hot tub after every Monday with my PT. I also have the PM Drs voice in my head get out and walk everyday. But I don't because it's too darn rainy and cold at times though I did get out yesterday and walked too far and had leg cramps all night. So I will rest today.

I hope you heal soon from that infection and know that antibiotics can make you tired. You've been through so much I hope you start feeling better soon and best to take 5 minute walks a couple times of day. My best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I do get up and walk around during the day. I actually feel no differant whether I'm up or laying down. I just feel achy all the time no matter what. And my antibiotics are evil. They make me feel soooo sick, especially the Levaquin. I always feel icky after I take it and for most of the day. I just want to be done with all this.

Swimming and a hot tub sound sooo good. But will not happen for me :( Between the infection and the fentanyl, I'm not allowed to do either.

• I am so sorry to hear that you still have your infection :-(
    Your body has been through so much; first the surgery, then trying to fight off this infection. No wonder you feel tired.

I agree with Charry that a couple of short walks each day might be helpful. If you can walk outside; the fresh air and sunshine (if only we could have some!) would be very good for you. (Oxygen and Vitamin D)

I go for a couple of walks each day and they make me feel more positive about my healing. I also feel like I am becoming part of the world again.

I really hope that your infection will heal up, and then you can continue your recovery. (My infection is healed now and the incision is finally healed up! Yeay!!)

Take care and walk and little and rest when you need to. :-)
  • Yikes...you've had a rough road.
    I'm 3 months post op of revision microdiscectomy and I didn't have the complications you've run into. I will say PT was a Godsend for me. Trust me when I tell you it made me more exhausted but in a better way than recovery exhaustion did.

I finally feel stronger in my core and more stable on my feet. I'm not 100% pain free but as I told my husband, i feel as if I can make my own decisions and don't have to rely on him being available to help me with everything. He still is a huge help with walking the pup and doing house stuff but I can help some now and it does work wonders.

You'll still be tired...but you will free refreshed.

I hope that hole closes over....so your doctor can send you to PT. If you haven't been active for a few months, you should encourage him to send you to PT once you are well enough.

Glad to hear from you...I was wondering how you were doing.
  • Are you eating well?? Your body needs good calories and high protein diet to heal and fight this infection. Was it MRSA?? If you are getting of the narcotics this will be more confusion for your body , just be persistant and patient and you will get through this! Lynette