Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 months

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Stop Smoking
8 months smoke free and I WANT TO SMOKE SO BADLY the last few days. I am in the middle of a Chantix booster. Taking 1mg for the last couple of weeks. But I really really want to smoke. I know it is stress or whatever you want to call it. Maybe my hives are contributing. I just want a cigarette desperately. I wish I didn't feel this way every couple of months. Anyone else had the craving so long after quitting?

Smokeless in Nashville,

• What is the status of your fusion, and your limitations in general at this point? You've come to far to halt the progress of your fusion. Remember it is 1-2 years before it is completely solid.

Traci, what are you doing when you have these cravings? Go walk the dog, go sit outside with a chair full of pillows and read a book and get some sunshine. My PT makes me go outdoors after each session. Hey, then go walk the dog again!!

Please don't smoke, my sweet friend. Don't do it!!
    What do you like to do that distracts you from that craving?

The oppressive pain can make you do many things you would not ever consider. It sure is causes me to be so wimpy, cry baby, feel sorry for myself...when normally, I'm stoic, independent and tough; personally and professionally. Now the woman that I used to be no longer lives within me. I was lying flat for my therapy today, and tears just flowed down my face...I had just had severe pain all night long.

Traci, we still have another 6 months to see positive changes, and get our lives back. I'm still hopeful that 2011 will be a great year for us.

Take care,

• Lisa,

Thanks for the pep talk. I seem to have really strong cravings to smoke, at odd times. Not the normal smokers times, like after a meal, etc. This is out of the blue craving. But I am having it so often now. I was having none 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe I am just getting antsy, spring fever or something.

Anyway, I don't plan to have even one. I know if I do, I will be a smoker again. And god knows, I did not go through the last 9.5 months and previous 4 years to blow it all on a cigarette. So, I will chew a straw or eat a tic tac and go on. Going back to work will help I'm sure.

I am sorry to see you are still having such a rough time. I know PT is hard. Mine today was terrible. My therapist must have been mad because I canceled Monday, she took it out on me today. That heifer!! LOL. I hope it gets easier for you.

Hugs and Hugs,
  • I don't know much about naturopathy and nicotine, but I would think you must be lacking an amino acid or something like that which accounts for the cravings. I'll see if I can find anything in some of my books in the morning....I need to go to bed for now. My head is starting to pound from my little procedure....

I was just listening to a news cable program. The Chinese have found a use for used cigarette butts. They are able to extract some chemical from them that they can use to re-enforce steel pipes. Perhaps that will help your resolve not to smoke. Who wants a chemical in her beautiful body that is also used in a steel plant??

Take good care, my friend.

• Have you tried any of the online support groups for people who are stopping smoking? I would think some people there might have some really novel ideas that just might help you.
  • Gwennie.,

Thanks for the replies. I considered I may be lacking some nutrient, especially since these cravings came in the last couple of weeks. I will also research. Don't make your poor head hurt any worse. Get some good rest now. I know that will be tough in the next few weeks.

There is online support for Chantix users. I have not bothered to register. Not so bright. #o I will register and see what ideas others might have.

Thanks and Hugs,
  • O:) :D O:) :D O:)

Why can't they invent a substitute for smoking that would not be a health risk --my significant other just quit smoking using he patch and has been successful. Here I am still smoking, still suffering sinus funk from it and shamed that I can't get rid of this crutch.

I think you're doing great -- even with the weird urges.. I once met a man on one of my construction sites who kept a bag of tootsie pops on his desk -- he always had one in his mouth but it did the trick for him.

I know you're heading back to work next week so be sure to bring some litttle healthy snacks to keep up your energy, hydrate and remember to get up and move every so often. Maybe some thermacare patches to keep your muscles warm or a heating pad or ice packs, whatever you need to get you through.

Take care of you, Trasee, and call on your SH friends if you need support.

• I quit smoking 14 years ago, and for some crazy reason I have thought "a cig right now would be great" a few times in the past weeks. The cravings never go away completely, they just lessen over time.

What helped me was butterscotch candies and keeping my hands busy at all times, I crocheted so many blankets and doilies, but it worked.

Keep up the good work, you are doing great!

Take care,
  • After I had been quit for a year I got a craving for a cig that would not go away and I broke over and had one! I am STILL smoking!! I try the patches and they fall off!
    You are doing GREAT gal. I am so proud of you.
    Patsy W :H
  • You guys are great support! I seem to be ok so far today but it's still early LOL. Hopefully it wont be so bad today. I am having the Chantix dreams so it must be helping somehow. I hope to start weaning off this drug ASAP. Thanks for all the good vibes!!

Hugs :x
  • My theory and approach:

After 1 year of being smoke free I some how got the stoopid notion that I could have just 1... duh... no you can't. You are a drug addict and nicotine is your chosen poison. You can never have another one... Had to get back on Chantix for a few weeks to kick the cravings. It's now 2 years since I said No more killing myself like this.

Tapering off. While Pfeizer seems to think just stopping taking Chantix is fine. That seems to be where the rub came in with it. Caused some people bad problems. What I did was. After it causing big problems at 2x/day I went back to 1x/day until I felt like I was done. Then I cut the pills in half and did that for a week. Then cut them in quarters and did that for a week. No side effects and taper off just enough that it held off the cravings.

Do I still think about it. 2 years later. Yep. Does it bother me. Nope. It just is. The thoughts are just that, thoughts. Distract yourself for a minute or two and it should go away.

Do what it takes but don't light up even one. You are absolutely correct. You've gone too far with all this back stuff. Why chance screwing it up. Why deliberately drag your health down and create risks.

Maybe, just maybe, this recent switch in your meds then the rashes etc... Maybe causing a distraction for you that just made you think. Man I could use a smoke right now. Just a thought. Regardless though... DON'T.

Keep that good attitude going Traci.
  • Graham,

I am full of random thoughts. No telling where the wish to smoke again came from. I have a lot going on for someone that sits at home right now. LOL. Good thing I am going back to work. Less time for random thoughts :P

Thanks for the pep talk. I know just one would have me smoking a pack a day in no time. My bff is over today and she smokes. It is not bothering me, surprisingly!

Hugs all around,
  • So...Last night I went out for a game of Beer Pong with the BFF. I had someone run down the errant ping pong balls for me so bending wasn't a problem. But even while having a beer or 10, I DID NOT SMOKE!! I think that has been the ultimate test for me. And yes, I avoided my meds while having a little bit of alcohol, dranks lots of water and waited a few hours to take bedtime meds. I am a little sore today, but it was worth it. I saw my step brother and some friends I haven't seen in months or years. All in all, a worthwhile outing.

Thanks for reading,

P.S. the beer wasn't bad either!
  • Howdy Traci,

My dad quit smoking in the bottom 70's - it wasn't even something people worried about much back then, right? At any rate, here is what he used, and I have used it when I was in places I couldn't smoke. He would take a Sunflower seed of all things, place it between his fingers like a cigarette! After a while he would take the seed in his mouth, suck on it for a while, then crack the shell and eat it. He told me his biggest "ciggie need" was his hands! His trigger was his actions with a cigarette in his hand. Nope, he never returned to them... Kinda neat huh?

Great on the beer and no ciggies!!! *HUG* Proud of ya woman!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.