Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Banning - A very difficult decision

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Most of you that know me hopefully understand that I try to look at the entire site to ensure it runs smoothly.

Its part of my job that when I see a problem area, I need to address quickly and as fairly as possible.

I've always taken into consideration that as members here, we are suffering from various sorts of spinal problems. That alone can influence how someone behaves. As such, I have always given more allowances because of this.

Last night, I banned GWENNIE17

I am sure that all of you have read out countless posts telling members NOT to post as if you were a doctor or handing out medical advice.

This was the case here. I made several attempts to communicate this problem with Gwennie and while I was recovering from surgery, that behavior and posting continued.

We treat each banning situation fairly. We look at the circumstances, the warnings, etc to make sure what we do is the correct thing.

Bottom line, no one member is more important then the entire member community. We have a responsibility to everyone to make sure the site runs smoothly and without problems.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I know I am just one member, but this makes me so sad! Gwennie has a wealth of knowledge and is always so willing to offer support and attempts to answer questions members have.

I wish the was a different way to solve this!

Many have become close to Gwennie!

Is there a way to reach her is e-mail?

Truly sadened!
  • Jayhawk you and me are not the only ones that will miss her. I am hoping someone on here has another way of reaching her..I hope sleeprgrl might. Gwennie told me in the past that they talked a lot.
  • I'm really shocked. Gwennie always had info for people when they asked questions. I think we all encouraged her by saying how smart and well informed she was. I had no idea this was ever a concern.

Ron you know that we trust you to be fair. I'm sure you did what needed to be done. I just wish we had seen some visible signs that what she was doing was out of line. When I see the notes from admins changing a post it lets me understand where the post went off track. I don't remember seeing this with her but then I tend to speed read sometimes.....
  • It is sad to see Gwennie banned as she had a talent for putting medical jargon into laymans terms as well as taking an enormous amount of personal time answering posts. I wish she could have embraced the rule of NOT posting as if she had medical training. I did get the sense that in most of her posts she presents information as if she is an authority on spinal issues and often presented information as if it were absolute fact when in reality it was just her opinion. I too am desperately seeking answers to my spinal issues but this is a good reminder that we can learn from other's experience and take away questions to ask our physicians but in no way should we use this or any other forum as a primary source to diagnose or treat our spinal conditions.

Just my opinion and thoughts after reading countless posts and researching for my own condition.
  • I want to make sure that I do not over step my bounds on this forum since I am a health care professional. Bottom line for me is that on this forum I am a spine patient, and make every attempt to be supportive to others, and sometime give some insight, but again, not to give medical advice, but please let me know if you have any questions with my posts.

Just wanted you and the moderators on the forum to know of my intentions, as I very much need this forum myself during my fusion journey :-)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Trust me, if we had found something wrong with your posts, we would first notify you via private messages.
    That is the way we try to resolve any issues.

We do understand that sometimes its a fine line between giving personal opinions vs medical advice.
    But that is a boundary we must always be cautious of.
  • I was wondering if it's possible to do graduated banning? Can you just ban her for 2 weeks and then have another meeting with her? I don't know what's all involved but could someone have a second chance? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i am absolutely shocked by this. i would have thought that if she received the appropriate warnings she would have heeded them. i recall that there was nobody that knew the spine health articles better than gwennie. in most cases she referred people to those articles. there is such a grey area between acting like a dr and just giving advice. i hope we dont lose more good people.
    ron this must be difficult for you to have to do this. it shows how demanding your job is. especially when you too have your own health issues.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    No its never easy... especially when you have a person that basically is so helpful. I can not tell you how many times I have PM'd Gwennie about the super things she posted.

But there is always a fine line that needs to be drawn and needs to be followed. I am all for given latitude to people that deserve it, and she did, but after a while, enough is enough.

My own health issues is something that I deal with on a daily basis, being doing that for gosh I dont know how many years. But I will never allow that to influence or sway me into doing something to another member.

I will say this openly, Gwennie, is a very good person, she is very knowledgeable about spinal conditions, she could even be on the authority team,
    BUT, when you break a rule over and over and over, you have to draw the line
  • Ron,

As you and I have chatted in PM's, I fully understand and respect you and the mods on here. I ran a "BBS" in the old dial up modem days, and like you all (though not to the volume degree at all!!), know that there is a LOT that goes on behind the scenes that NONE of us will see, nor really need to see. I like many very much enjoyed the openness, wisdom, and free advice given by Gwennie.

Like many, she became her own best advocate for her condition, which like most of us, opened a never planned for "can of worms" of spinal knowledge! With this knowledge, she shared. I saw most of her posts in that fashion, but to be the other side of the coin, I too would have assumed many times she was a medical professional - yes, she did...she did gain the medical knowledge such that many could easily feel she was a practitioner of some level. I too will miss her very informative postings.

I like many on here feel her being banned is sad, but like others on here, can see where the mods may/might have PM'd her to back it down a notch or two. I think 4 or more warnings is more than fair to anyone. I do think that given the length of time she was on here, and too her posting contributions, yes....maybe she was given a wee bit more warnings than most (that is a good thing I think?). I know from what I saw of her surgical plight, she was probably frustrated, but she maybe more than most of us knew the rules. Gwennie, sorry this has happened, you will be missed. You were a true asset to this site. I am sorry, but I have to stand with the mods on this...peace all.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I don't read everything that is posted. And I skim read too much. So I may miss (do miss) way more than I should. I know she always walked very close to the grey line. And maybe, sometimes, right on it. But I thought her signature line said it all. I also know a few people who didn't like her style. Would cause her to take it up a notch. And step right on that line. Personally, I wish she would have put her signature line before the beginning of each post. We have lost a very valuable member. And a source of information by a very well read member. A member that badly needed a forum like this.
    I understand Ron and his crew have a very hard job to do to keep this forum running smoothly. And do it well.
    But I do wish there was a pre baning suspension time period. That way members like me and many others might be able to PM. the person and talk them down.
    Just one members view.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ron,

Thanks for making this post. I kept trying to PM Gwennie and couldn't figure out why all of a sudden it said she wasn't accepting PMs.

As everyone has said, Gwennie will be sorely missed. She contributed a lot to this site, and I, like so many others, benefited from her wealth of knowledge, support, and advice. Gwennie, I don't know if you are checking this thread, but if you are I just want to say thanks for being a friend and for always going above and beyond to take the time to share your knowledge and support. You are missed.

Ron, I appreciate you sharing that she received warnings because that makes it easier to understand the banning decision. I also think that in fairness to the members that have received so much support from Gwennie, a warning to us that she was going to be banned would have been appreciated. I don't know the story, and I'm not for taking sides. I'm still just stunned and saddened because Gwennie gave so much to this site and its members. I know the banning decision put you in a tough position and one that I'm not in a position to judge, so I just want to say an extra thanks to you and all the mods for the job you do to keep these forums going. SH is such a great source of support, and I truly appreciate the work all the mods do to keep the community going. I don't really understand this decision, but out of respect for the community and its rules it is one that I know we all have to accept.

• Content removed. Originator requesting membership deletion