Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Im new....

Lizz TLLizz T Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi My name is Lizz
I have always had scoliosis,
and then ten years ago was diagnosed with severe degenerative arthritis.
well here I am, was in the health field for 15 years, lots of lifting, transferring and so forth,
well it got really bad, went to the chiro and after 4 adjustments (had always helped in the past) well this time I landed up in the emergency room couldent even walk
told to stop work till I saw the ortho sx, had just done xrays,
saw the ortho, and he sent me for an mri, and to stay out of work
not to many options as my lower back is pretty much shot
so Im having a spinal fusion on may 24th
and the dr put me out of work period, and that ill never go back to group home work (my lifes love)
now my boss who is my best friend was with me during ALL of this.
I had to resign due to drs orders, company said that I would get approved for unemployment as it wasnt my choice to quit
well Un employment didnt see it that way.and I was denied
I did not blame the job, or take workman's comp as I had been warned ten years ago to get out of the field and find a job with no lifting, soooooooo. and alot of people there knew I had back problems and covered for me and helped me out alot, so I started the job with the issue.

so I am currently about to move to a friends house as I have no income, and am in the process of a divorce.

ok, probably TMI! LOL

so the long and short of it is, I stumbled on this sight, and am just going to sit back and read, the pre op tips are great sadly cant afford much more then the plastic bag to slide on. but my friend is taking the first week off to help me get settled.
This is a great forum (I do belong to a couple) and Im glad I found it now before surgery

• Welcome to this site. There is a lot of useful information as well as great support and help from the members.

If you have any questions about your upcoming surgery just ask. Many of us have had fusions (I've had 2) and hopefully our experiences can help you.

Take care,
  • Sorry to hear of all your problems. Sounds like you got some mis-info from your former employer. Since you cannot work you are not eligible for unemployment. For that you have to be able to work. What you are eligible for is disability. And if your employer had a short term and or long term disability policy you should get that as well.

I would contact the HR department at your former employer. See what disability coverage they have. If you get no answer contact your state labor department.
  • The company said the only way i can claim disability short or long term was if I was going to remain employed my dr is very firm that I cannot return to that line of work, so I was denied company benefits
  • Doesnt sound right. Diability is for when you can't work - nothing about what work that might be. I also don't buy the part about your doc saying you can't ever do that work again. That shouldnt come into question until you can go back to work and they specify any restrictions. No one can tell now what they can or can't do later - that doesnt effect their coverage. Think of it this way - i go out on disability because of a broken arm. They do surgery to set the arm and there are complications that leave me paralyzed. They can't go back and take away my disability because I can never type again?

I hate to add to your upset but it sounds like your former employer is pulling a fast one on you. If you don't mind me asking what state are you in?

I also saw your other posts where you said husband is in military. Aren't you still covered under his benefits until you divorce? Used to be that the military took a very poor view of spouses being neglected.

I know you have alot to worry about in the next few weeks heading into surgery. Getting some of the money matters under control would help.
  • i have sent you a p/m
  • My company provides LTD, and I was entitled to a copy of this policy. Mine was difficult to understand, but there are people that can interpret the policy.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry to hear you will be having surgery soon but it may be your best chance to become pain free.. good luck!! it is difficult to know you will never be able to go back to work you love but other doors will open for you i promise... this does not have to be the end....all the best and stop by anytime!! Jenny :D
  • Welcome to Spine Health! :H Girl, you will find so many wonderful, supporting people here! And, so much info regarding conditions, dealing with pain and the accompanying emotions. I am so glad that I am here and I look forward to getting to know you. I am sorry you are in the shape you are in Please know I am a woman of faith...and I will be praying for you! O:) God bless! Dusty :)
  • Just wanted to wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery. I hope it brings you relief from pain and stabilizes your back. Would applying for disability be an option for you? I think it would go through faster seeing how you don't have your own place. Keep us posted when you're able after your surgery. Take care and prayers for your healing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN