Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just been diagnosed with meylopathey and confussed

Tina71TTina71 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
Hhi, im sure most folk here have this condition. at the moment im a wreck, dont know what 2 exspect. ive had back problems 4 many years. had surgery 14yrs ago. now i have slipped disk in neck which has been a prob 4 years but i never exspected to be told i have meylopathy and 2 be honest its scaring the shit out of me. what does it mean? can this condition ever stay as it it is and not progress???
i have 2 have surgery in the next few weeks in my neck.
i dont even know what im really even wrting about, im just so scared ... any positive info would be appreciated x

• Hi Tina,

Welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find some who suffer from cervical myelopathy including myself. Also at the top of the page is a search feature that you can type in words and find literature that is doctor written and peer reviewed. From my understanding as it was explained to me, surgery has to be performed on patients with myelopathy to stop the progression, but surgery won't change the damage that has occurred. Here is a link to cervical myelopathy and from that page there is more links as well. http://www.spine-health.com/glossary/c/cervical-myelopathy
    Also there are some threads in the forum conditions not covered by other topics regarding cervical myelopathy written by members dealing with the same as yourself.

Have you discussed with your surgeon what type of surgery you will be facing and do you have anymore meetings with the surgeon? Here is a list of questions that I feel you should know the answers to before having surgery.

Also check out the video section here as there are animated video's on the cervical procedures. One that maybe of interest to you is the anterior cervical discectomy and fusion(ACDF). If your not meeting with the surgeon before surgery again, for some reason don't hesitate to call them and ask the specific surgery you are having. Also do you know how many levels and what levels surgery will be performed on?

It is normal to be scarred and or nervous regarding surgery. That is a normal process that many go through. Do your research so you understand what they are doing and most importantly have confidence in your surgeon and research the surgeon as well. If there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by! please have a good look around and don't be afraid to ask questions.. that is what we are here for... good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny :)