Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aqua therapy after micro-D

gaj399ggaj399 Posts: 270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Some of you may remember my having problems after my last surgery, which was a micro-d on L3-4 with some scar tissue removed from a previous surgery.

I didn't think I was ever going to improve and in fact was getting worse. Luckily my surgeon ordered aqua therapy.

I started aqua therapy 5 weeks ago and the improvement is wonderful. Since starting this therapy, I have now been able to also start land based exercise and have managed to lose 20 pounds. The pain is still there and will always be to some extent, but I am getting better with each passing week. Some times I even forget to take my pain pills because the pain has lessened.

I thank all that have answered my questions and helped with info on this site.

• hi gary
    so glad your getting relief in water therapy..
    it is the only way i feel good..i often over do things in the water cause i feel so good..so good luck to you..
    wish everyone could get in water some how truely just to waterwalk is good for us spineys
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Good to hear you're on the mend after your aqua therapy. I have just started it myself and have only been 2 times. How many times a week did you go? I was thinking of getting a disability membership at the pool so I can go myself with all the exercises I'm learning with the PT. Good to hear of your weight loss. Best wishes as you continue to heal after surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So happy to hear that you are doing better Gary! I LOVE the pool and being in the water!

When I first started in the pool, I felt great! Until I had to get out. I could feel the effects of gravity as I climbed each stair!

So happy for you! Shari
  • I go twice a week for therapy in the pool, but my therapist has a aqua exercise class on Thursdays also, so it's really like three times a week. What's great is that the exercise class is only $5.00! And she makes sure I don't do anything I shouldn't. Plus they have a giant whirlpool tub for after therapy/class.

Shari, I also hurt getting out of the pool when I started, but now I don't notice it so much. I'm actually thinking I may be able to play golf before the summer is over. A month ago I wasn't sure I was even going to be able to walk by the end of summer.

Anyway, if you can talk you doctor into okaying it aqua therapy is really great for spiney's
  • I am so glad I found this post. I am supposed to start aqua therapy and had no idea what to even expect. Sounds like all of you have had success with it and that gives me hope (which has been in very short supply around here!)and the courage to keep trying. I was beginning to think nothing would ever help me again. My biggest desire is to be able to exercise. After losing 60 lbs in the past year, and doing nothing but sitting and laying down my muscles have atrophyed (sp??) and are pitiful. I just can't wait to get started now!