Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

terrible ESI, anyone else?

ballmombballmom Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Injections
I went for my 2nd series of injections on Friday. The first set was not great, but tolerable. He did retroforminal at L4-5 and transforaminal L5-S1. No relief, in fact, sciatica seemed worse.

This time, he focused more on L5-S1, doing retro and transforaminal again. First off, being as I have had 2 surgeries the past year along with tests, etc, my veins are all scarred and they could not get IV access. Took 3 attempts. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, (had disc calcified to nerve due to length of herniation), so didn't really bother me. Plus, having been an RN, I totally understand starting IVs.

Anyway, recieved IV sedation with no affect. At the first level, he hit the nerve, sent a massive electric shock down my leg. Then, at that second level, when he injected the solution, I had excrutiating pain like I have never felt before, not just pressure. It was aweful. I could not help but cry uncontrollably. Not sure if it was because he hit the nerve or what. My surgeon is wanting me to go through discogram, but after that experience, I really don't think I can! I never want to do that again! I felt terrible all night and still, 2 days later, don't feel great, still dizzy, and a little nauseated.

Sorry to ramble, just never had this experience and this is the second time I have gone through injections.

According to my surgeon, my back is a "mess". Have had diskectomy/laminectomy x2 within the past year, also have L2/3, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 severe degeneration along with bulges or herniations and annular tears at each level and only 40! Trying anything to avoid fusion with so many levels.

• sorry ballmom for your reaction to them..
    i had bad swelling after mine at base of neck..underarms couldn't tell i had armpits..
    i went to er and of course got a quack he did nothing.. followed up with my doc and he said that the swelling can last long time and months to get that stuff out of system...
    i of course went back to pain m doc she seemed upset with me when i said didn't want 3rd injection and that my legs are worse after shot in back..
    she handed me script and had 4 medications on it and said see ya in a month..
    never told me what meds were for so i called my docs office asap and he said she just tryin get rid of you 2 of the meds were same things..and so i found her down the hall and ripped up scripted and fired her...
    i will never get one of those things again...
    and if your still feeling dizzy pls call your doc...
    hope you get better and dont sound as if your getting anymore esi...
    best wishes
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.