Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I being stupid?

jmichellejjmichelle Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
Ok, I get 6 and a half Norco 10's a day for pain from my family doctor. He also prescribes Lyrica, Flexiril 10, Meloxicam. I have found that there are some days when the pain is horrible and the 1.5 of the Norcos isnt working. (I take 1.5 3xs a day and 2 at night) I was thinking of adding another medication for the times when none of my meds work. (maybe something like Oxycodone) Problem is, I DO NOT want to be put extended release. My pain is somewhat controllable except for maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I dont want to build up a tolerance to Oxycodone and I dont want to have to take it everyday. (I dont want those withdrawls) My question is, can you take 6.5 Norcos a day AND something like Oxycodone immediate release 3 or 4 times a day on the days that the pain is really bad. Also, I have taken Skelaxin, Robaxin, and Flexiril and never really found good muscle relaxing effects. Is there anything available?

Thanks =)

• Howdy,

I would love to say "take this much and that much" but not qualified. I would however give your doctor a call or visit and tell him/her pretty much what you told us here. It is pretty clear, and will relay very well what your pain control wishes are. I will say this, until or unless your doctor changes how much you can take, I would not change what I was prescribed to take? I hope your doctor finds a mix that works for you. Take care, and please keep us posted.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Agreed, that's a question for someone with a medical degree :)
  • Thanks all. Im just a little intimidated because I am going to make an appointment with the pain management doctor who works in the same practice. I would like to try some more physical therapy and some injections..so I am bringing up this issue to a doctor I have never met. And I dont know if you are even allowed to take more than one immediate release med in the same day. (because I would keep on the norcos AND add something like Oxycodone only on the days that are not bearable)
    I am so nervous to discuss this with someone I have never met.
  • JM,

Actually, odd as this might sound, sometimes the first visit with a new doctor is the best time to get all the issues out and covered! On a second opinion I recently had, I took a dermatome map and marked it up with what hurt, what was numb, tingled etc. I also had 2 pages of notes of when things hurt, what meds, allergies etc. He was thrilled! I also brought my last 2 years worth of x-ray and MRI reports.

Sooooo...new can be good! Just as you have stated above, that is what you want to bring to the table when you see this doctor. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well the appointment might go. Who knows, some small detail could open the full diagnosis door! Good luck, let us know how it goes!!

• SPINE HEALTH forbids anyone one giving others advice on drugs {for obvious reasons} the only advice i can give you is to talk to your DOCTOR and discuss your drug requirements he/she is the only one that can give you safe advice on a safe drug regimen .
    a note on instant oxycodone {oxynorm} it works very fast {about 15 minutes} but even tho its is supposed to last up to 6 hours i have found that i only get 2/3 hours relief from if so my doctor prescribes both oxycontin {long acting} and oxynorm {instant} and i have gotten used to both so again ..proceed with caution as oxycontin and oxynorm are extremely addictive .even tho i need them for pain control and i never use them ..if i don't have them i get a full withdrawal .so be careful and see if you can get by on something less potent
  • Ok, I was real real nervous about seeing the doctor but I feel a little more eased. He will have all my MRI reports and Xray reports etc because he is in the same office as my primary and my rheumatologist..so the reports are already scanned into the system. I will let you know how the appointment goes Tuesday.
  • Sounds Great!!! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Good luck!!! Try to relax and rest. :-)