Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DVT or Respitory ??

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 5 days post-op, I posted earlier this week about all the pain I was having. I am still in pain but each day it is easing just a little bit but atleast I can manage the pain now.

My new questions is to see if any of you have ever suffered a blood clot after surgery ot pneumonia? (excuse spelling)

My throat was sore the day of surgery, they told me it was from the breathing tube, I have been getting a runny nose etc since then and felt like I was just coming down with a head cold.

Late this afternoon I started getting really bad chest pain, I am loosing my voice and feel very tired and just under the weather, I have a low grade fever, nothing too high.

I just was wondering if anyone else suffered with any of these symptoms after their surgery and what signs I should watch for. I have no leg swelling or pain, I am not walking like I should be as I just feel so poorly but I wiggle my toes alot and move my ankles.

I will put a call into my doc tomorrow just to be on the safe side, hopefully its nothing more than a cold that will dry up in a few days although I am starting to get a cough too! Lucky me!! LOL

Thanks for listening, not looking for medical advice, I will call my doctor for that but just curious about similar experiences after spinal surgery.

• Hey Sandra, I was hoping you would be feeling a bit better by now...

generally when I think of DVT's, I think of swelling in the calf and ankles with tenderness/pain, redness, hot to the touch, at the top of your calf.

I had pneumonia while I was in the hospital following my fusion. It was very, very difficult to breath. I was wheezing and always trying to catch my breathe. My heart rate was high and my blood pressure dropped dangerously low.

Your insurance may have a 24 hour nursing number that you can call for recommendations, But, by all means if you think it may be a DVT, you will need emergency care, via 911 or the ER to prevent the clot from moving.

Please let us know how you are! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! very gentle hugs! xx
  • Unfortunately I do have experience with a DVT and then pulmonary emboli.

This may very well be a coincidence with something respiratory, but I would suggest you go get checked out. The pain in your chest when you take a deep breath is not something to play around with.

I don't think my symptoms are helpful to you, as it all started with the DVT in the leg first. It was obvious there was something going on in my leg because it was extremely painful, discolored, hot, and swollen. I was hospitalized for that and after a few days released home on coumadin therapy. A few days later I just felt sick and developed a fever. My chest hurt mildly, but more than anything I just had an uneasy feeling and shortness of breath, along with fever and feeling sick overall. Another round of scans revealed the pulmonary embolisms, so yet another hospital bed became home to me for a few days again.

It would be completely appropriate for you to call your doctor and let them know what you are feeling. It could be nothing to worry about, but at least you would know. A quick scan of your lungs will determine if you have anything to worry about.

Please let us know what happens. The good news is you are 5 days post op and on your way to recovery. I wish you well.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • You have been givens some very good advice here. One thing that will be important is your cough productive or just a dry cough? Usually i get some sinus issues following surgery. I think the oxygen does it, but i correlate to the fact where I live we have high allergy counts and all of that O2 kind aggravates my sinus more. Be sure to call your doctor in the morning and get it checked out.
  • Thank you all for your replies.

I am actually feeling much better today, my chest pains are gone and I seem to be getting more air. I started using the brathing machine that you blow into from the hospital and i think that truly helped open up my lungs. I was probably having chest pains due to anxiety of fearing the worst!

Today is a much better day, just taking it easy, slow and steady walks around the house and if anything were to change I wouldn't hesitate to go to the ER.

Now, if I could just shower and wash my hair!!!!

• that you are feeling better today Sandra. :-)
    Take it one day at a time, making sure you get lots of rest and regular short walks.

The shower and hairwash won't be far away.

Take care
  • I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I know we all think the worst when things happen after surgery, but it's always best to check these things out. We've all heard stories about people who had symptoms and didn't want to bother the doctor. Really, I think the doctors would rather get a few calls than to hear that something bad had happened to one of their patients.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thank you Linda............I find at night I tend to have more problems with my breathing and my voice starts to go but by morning I always feel better.

However today I got a call from school, my son has a 102 fever and sore throat, then my otheer son came home from school, started throwing up and is in bed sleeping now, so we must have some bug in the house that probably contributed to what I have been feeling.

My recovery is going well except for the pain and swelling at the surgical site, its still very painful and its hard for me to lie on my back, I have to lie on my side. I get to take my bandage off tomorrow and shower (yeah) so hopefully I can see if there is anything bad going on there. I have a golf ball size swelling and I feel like I am constantly being stabbed. My post op appointment is on Tuesday so we'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone is having a good day,
  • Oh Sandra, I so hope you don't get it! Be so very careful with lots of hand washing and careful sanitizing tech.

I got the flu after my 2nd laminectomy L3-S1. They were so worried. I was told that if I needed to vomit, that I neede to do so while laying on my side if at all possible!

It was also suggested to try to minimize coughing to the best of my abilities! I would hold a pillow tight across my chest as I coughed.

Hopefull this will pass qucikly and you will not get sick!

I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers! Shari
  • you have had your fair share of troubles, I can't imagine trying to control your cough!!

I hope you are having a better day. Its not easy getting through all this and the constant pain. I have not had to have a fusion, I can't imagine how that feels, you are all incredibly brave.

Tomorrow I can see what my incision looks like, its very itchy and painful and now that I know I am colonized with MRSA, I have to be very careful and now with strep possibly in the house too, argh!!! Lots and lots of handwashing!!

Take care of yourself and I hope you did something nice for yourself today.

• I hope you manage to avoid catching the 'bug'

Today you can get that dressing off! I think getting the air to the incision really speeds up the healing.
    Enjoy that shower!! :-)

(I had to keep my dressing for 6 weeks due to improper closure and then an infection! I was SO glad to leave it off :D)
  • Oh you know it, I cannot wait to get into that shower and wash my hair....I just took the bandage off and I have to say I am not happy with the way it looks.

Last time it was a nice straight line and looked sealed, this time its all bloody, crooked and so swollen. It has alot of pain and just looks ugly. There is alot of bruising around my incision, I know that will go away but I am not sure about this incision. I am not running a fever so I assume it means its not infected?

My son is home today with a high fever and sore throat, I have to find someone to take him to the doctor as we think he has strep throat! I hope I don't get it!!

I can't imagine keeping the bandage on for 6 weeks, what type of infection did you have? Hows it healing now? Before this surgery you hardly noticed the scar, but I don't see this one looking the same way when its all done. Grrrrrr

Hope your day is going well, I am off to the shower!!!

• oh sweetheart! When it rains it pours and I can so understand that!

Are you still on antibiotics? You may want to call your Dr. and let them know

1. your son has strep~they may just go ahead and put you on antibiotics
    2. how your incision looks

The brusing will go away, but I know it does look ugly and scarey. My first surgery was decompression and I didn't have a blood pump at that time. All that blood just pooled at my lower back/bum. It was awful. But it did heal with time,

Please be so careful, making sure you protect yourself. One word of caution~if your pain meds have any tylenol in them, you may not know you have a fever!

After your son has been on meds for 48 hours, be sure to throw his toooth brush away! :) and have your hubby gather up all his bedding and wash it!

Baby yourself as much as possible! sending a very gentle cyper hug! Shari
  • They didn't tell me what type of infection I had; jusst that it was an unusual one!
    My incision is all healed up now, although still has a step in it at the top, where is wasn't closed properly. That part of the scar is much wider too. A nurse told me that it always would be; from the infection and the over granulation tissue formation. I am just glad that it is closed and healed at last.

Hope you are now feeling clean!! ;) Lol!
  • I appreciate the advice about the infections....I was just surprised when I saw the incision. It was a smooth straight line last time, and now its looking very bloody and uneven, the scar looks very deep, the swelling may be giving it the distorted look! But its clean!!! Yahhhh I took a shower and it felt GREAT!!! My hair is shiny and smooth, lovely!!!

I have an appointment to take my son to the doctors tomorrow, I am keeping my fingers crossed its not strep, but its looking that way.

I was only on antibiotics during my hospital stay, I put a call in to my doctor but he is in surgery today so i won't hear anything til tomorrow. I am really concerned about the MRSA, thats my biggest fear that it would infect my wound, but I am being very careful so hopefully everything will be fine.

I hope you ladies are having a good day, Shari-I hope you get your pool running soon so you can enjoy it. Have a wonderful afternoon.