Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting in shape before surgery

MeeshaMMeesha Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I'm wondering what I can do to get my cardio up before surgery. I haven't been doing much of anything, and I have surgery in a little over 2 weeks. I figure the herniation is bad enough, I probably can't make it much worse with a little exercise. I don't like the idea of going into surgery so unfit, since I know I'll feel like I've been hit by a truck.

I know I can't do a whole lot in 2 weeks, but I'm trying to think of something. Walking for too long hurts. I thought of swimming - just arms, no kicking, but I know the walk back upstairs would kill. I might try it though. Any thoughts?
discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• Hi Meesha

If you have insurance coverage for it I would recommend going to PT. The therapist can guide you through safe activities that will help prepare you for surgery. Don't kid yourself about not doing more damage. Anything is possible. I did PT before every surgery I have had and my recovery was much faster. My surgeons are always amazed at how quickly I regained my range of motion and activity.

Good Luck with your surgery

• As Kris said try PT I did for 7 weeks before surgery.
    But mine did more damage. Some time its work and other time it dont. (maybe it just my luck) lol.

• Just like doctors you need to shop for a good PT. We need to shake off what we were taught as kids that all doctors are gods. Like in everything there are good doctors and bad doctors. Good PT and bad PT.

If you don't feel right then say something. If you really don't feel right then switch immediately!!
  • This sucks - I tried doing some PT exercises I used to do every day before the March 12 sneeze and still can hardly do them. Still too painful, even though I'm slightly improved since March 12. I hope I still have some strength from the ones I did for 6 months before that day.
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.