Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gabapentin (Neurontin) seems to be working!

Reformed1RReformed1 Posts: 257
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Medications
I am over four months post-op from a TLIF at L5/S1. I've been in constant pain ever since surgery. The doctor kept on telling me to be patient, keep up with PT, and eventually the pain would resolve. They acknowledged that I had scar tissue on the same side as the pain I was having and said that the scar tissue could be the problem. They also said it could be a severly irritated sciatic nerve and that I could consider trying Lyrica or Neurontin. My daughter took Lyrica and had a terrible time with it, so I decided to try Neurontin even though I tried it a couple of years ago after a failed discectomy and quit after six days because I felt nauseas all the time.

Well, three weeks after starting it, I'm up to the prescribed dose of 900mg a day (not a huge dose for this med) and I can honestly say that I'm doing much better. Actually, every day now seems to get even better. I'm finally tapering off of Hydrocodone and I feel much better about myself in addition to feeling less pain.

I did have to fight through feeling sick every morning. I found that taking the medicine all at once(AS PRESCRIBED) at about 7:00PM rather than at bedtime, minimized the nausea in the morning. Again, with each day that passes, the side effects seem to be diminishing, and the pain seems to keep getting better.

Now, I wish I knew for certain if it was the Neurontin or was if it was just the amount of time since surgery that was the root of my improved symptoms. Eventually, when I am completely off of all narcotics, I'll try to reduce the Neurontin (with my doctor's permission) to see if my pain stays away.

In any event, this is a huge break-through for me. I'm back to work fulltime and functioning very well.

Thanks, everyone, for your support over the past few months. I will keep checking in to see how everyone is doing.

• That is fabulous news! So happy for you! Being back to work full time and regaining your life must feel great!

Keep in touch and thanks for taking the time to post your success!
  • That's great news the meds or possibly recovery or both are helping you get back to your life. You're still early in your healing and I wish you a complete recovery. Keep up the restrictions and walking and hope you heal completely. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN