Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-5 Surgery

Aaron211wcAAaron211wc Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I posted a forum here a few weeks ago about having surgery on my C-5. The surgeon was fixed on a C-5/C-6 fusion with a bone graft,plate and screw,taking the disc off my spinal cord. I had my post op appointment yesterday and he threw a curve ball at me. This time he suggested a second type of operation involving a device called ProDisc. I am currently 32yrs old, and he suggest that this would be best for me since i'm still kinda young and active. He did tell me if i were big into football or martial arts he would suggest the above action plate,screw etc. The doctor also said that i would be able to back into weight lifting and other activities.Getting back into shape and lifting weights are a passion of mine i have truly missed. What i was told is that this proceedure is about the same as the the common fusion, but without as much range of motion loss and quicker recovery time. Also since this is not a fusion, it would reduce problems down the road most ppl have with the disc above and below the original fusion. If for some reason this did not work to well down the road a fusion would still be a option,not that i would want to have to get opened up again lol. I have tried to gather as much information i could about this, but with little luck.I do know this is a disc replacement. Just looking at the model and the way it moved, it seems like the right direction for me. Any information you guys could provide, or websites for detailed infromation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Aaron

• Hi Aaron,

I think you are referring to ADR(artificial disc replacement). While I don't have any personal knowledge of the ADR's there are several members here whom have had ADR done. My question it this though? You have already had a fusion surgery i am presuming as you said the post op appointment. Why would they be doing a second surgery so soon using a ADR for? Or are they going to undo the fusion surgery at the level they have operated on? So I am just a bit confused why so soon following surgery you need another surgery. Maybe I read that wrong and you are still looking at what type of surgery to do? Have a look at some of the threads and they do discuss ADR, some located in the neck forum and some in the surgery forum. Also in the search function at the top of the page you can search by ADR and or prodisc and articles will appear along with post.
  • Hi Aaron

I had a C5-C6 Artifical Disc put in 4 years ago after about 6 weeks recovery all seemed fine. I went back to playing golf with no dramas.
    4 weeks ago I had to go back in and have neck surgery again to remove spurs from that location and have my nerve compression released. Never seems to stop does it. So at present still in post op and sore.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a wealth of information throughout the site and the members of the forum are caring, knowledgeable and supportive.

My questions are the same as Tamtams. You've already had a fusion and now your surgeon wants to go back in so soon? At the same level?

So, like I said my questions are the same as Tams, but I wanted to welcome you to Spine-Health.

• I'm guessing he meant pre-op not post-op. I think if I was in your shoes Aaron I would go for the disc replacement. You are young and active. I would still be cautious about future acttivity but what a great option.
  • Yes, sorry about the confusion i meant Pre-Op i have not had the surgery yet.
  • Hi Aaron~
    I just had my C 4/5 artificial disc replacement three weeks ago. Recovery is tough (but tolerable)...but it's supposed to be less and easier then the fusion recovery. I'm 31. I have several other discs that are causing problems as well. I chose the disc replacement because of "better range of motion"...etc. Most of all I chose ADR because Fusion really scared me. What scared me about it was the fact that it can cause more problems with the other discs. Being so young I was worried that if I had fusion I would end up with my whole neck in a cage by the time I was 55.
    Good Luck!