Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 surgery

Joy mcJJoy mc Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
It has been 8 weeks since my surgery.I still have severe nerve pain on back of left leg was not there before surgery . Also my hip bone aches so bad I can't sit on toliet,or hard chairs , can't sit anywhere very long it makes my nerve pain worse and lower back. I have to put my weight on right side , if I'm up going all day I really pay for it at night. My back swells at night so I lay on ice and take my meds.Feels like I have a knot in my back . I have also been doing physical therpy have 3 move visits. How long will my pain go on,
I have been out of work since Jan.Don't get me wrong the pain before surgery was much worse and I didn't have a choice. I am thankful that unreal pain is gone!!

• Good that your pre-surgery pain is gone and others will also say that you're still early in your recovery. Recovery takes a long time and the limitations are frustrating. I'm 7 months out now, and at 8 weeks, I couldn't sit for long either. It's only been in this last month that I can sit for longer.

Are you on Lyrica or Neurontin for the nerve pain? After my surgery, I was on Oxycodone, Oxycontin and Neurontin. I used to walk up and down the patio to relieve the pain and cramping (even at night), in addition to going out for walks.

When I started physio at the four month mark (apart from light stretching, core and breathing exercises)and had to lay on my back for some of them, it was so painful and still can be, so I lie on the bed. It was trial and error with some of the exercises, but I worked out what I could and could not do.

I'm active in the mornings but always rest for a good part of the afternoon.

Everybody's recovery is different, but do take things gently.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008