Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Celebrex

steve withrowssteve withrow Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Doc wants me on these...Looks like WAY to many side effects than I care for...I would like a good Non narcotic pain pill for my fusion and mild pain...Not some thing that will kill me...
advertisement

Comments

• Celebrex is a good drug and helps many of us. One thing to keep in mind, is that whenever our docs suggest a new medication, not only is it smart to read about all the side effects or contraindications, but it's also smart to keep things in perspective. Every medication I have taken comes with a list of "possible side effects" that seems to be a mile long. Many of them also list potentially life threatening side effects as well. The one thing I decided not to do, was shut myself off from potentially finding a drug that works really well for me based on a fear of what "may or may not", "could or could not" happen as a result of taking them. So far (knock on wood) the only medications that are life threatening to me, are certain anti-biotics.

Anyway, I have been taking Celebrex for several years now and find it to be a great part of my pain management package. No other anti-inflammatory med seems to work as well for me.

Have you discussed your concerns with your doc and gotten his perspective on the safety of the drug and why he wants to prescribe it for you?

"C"
  • Also, It pays to know that almost every NSAID anti-inflammatory carries the same warnings.

Best,
    Traci
  • Celebrex got a bad rap several years ago when some study linked it to heart problems. That was around the same time that they discovered that most drugs caused problems. I remember my husband had been prescribed Celebrex after knee surgery. He didn't take it for long mainly because he doesnt like to take any meds. I can remember digging the almost full bottle out of the closet and throwing it out.

It is pricey and I'm not sure that there is a generic for it yet. I would talk to your doctor about it. Be honest with him if money is the concern. He might have some alternatives for you. The worst thing you can do is just not take it when your doc thinks you are. He can't help you if he doesn't have the whole picture.
  • Thanks every one , no its not the money...2 years ago I came down with what they call PVC,s of the heart . They where bad , and the more I got , the more anxiety I got . they turned out to be benign , but I still worry a bit about em , and when I read up on Celebrex , well that concerned me . I am sitting here with 0 back pain , why do I need these . I took one yesterday and my back actually felt worse..I dont get it..
  • I took Celebrex after arthritic foot surgery on top of Oxycodone. I think it did more for pain than the narcotics because I had two separate foot surgeries about a month apart (same surgery, different feet). The first time I took Celebrex with Oxycodone. I felt no pain. The second time, they didn't prescribe Celebrex and this foot wasn't even as bad as the first one in terms of the arthritic deformity. I thought I was going to die (figuratively speaking). I called the doc and got a script for Celebrex and the pain went away.

Again, I think I took it for a few days only. I shared your concern about safety, but it was highly effective for me. I can't comment on how well it helps with back pain. Many back surgeons won't even allow you to take any kind of NSAID after surgery due to the risk of internal bleeding. I think it also interferes with bone growth for fusion patients?

If you're not in pain, I think you should absolutely ask your doctor why they want you to take it.
  • I was just diagnosed with benign PVC too and they put me on Celebrex. I took it and it actually helped for a few hours and then it wore off. The only thing my doctor and pharmacist said was that if you feel your chest flutter or the hard/skipped beats then stop using it and call them right away. I haven't really felt my chest flutter anymore than usual since starting it. It does make my tummy a little acid-y but I can handle that. Talk to your doctor and Cardio about it. Celebrex does not come in generic, I got a whole bunch of samples since my Ins won't cover it unless its preauthorized and guess what! Even then they wouldn't cover it because of my heart... Ins companies don't listen and they aren't MD's so what the hell!
  • Thanks for all you replies ..I sit here in 0 pain....I just talked to the nurse , they are going to talk to the Dr.........
  • Wow Steve, you have a zero on the pain scale?!! I am down right jealous!! That is fabulous! I am so happy for you!

Have a great night! Take care! Shari
  • Thank you Shari , I cramp once and while...but a big fat ZERO on the scale....Nothing like a month ago crying in my bed wishing it away....My but cheeks hurt once and while , thats because I sit for long periods...Then I will do dishes , vacuum , drive some where , go to the store..all good....Still waiting from the Dr. why he wants me on drugs...I was told by the nurse that people at this point want more...
  • Steve, I have been on Celebrex for about 2 1/2 years and have not had any issues with it, except for the price. There is currently no generic on the market. Keep in Mind, even though your not in any real pain, Celebrex is mainly a anti-inflammatory, not so much a pain killer. Maybe that is why they want you on it. Take care
  • Celebrex has been a problem for me, like everyone else says, they have to put the side effects on there, but their rare. Except on me. 10 years ago, Celebrex's brother Vioxx, I got so many Gastro problems I had to go to the hospital for 3 days. I already had my appendix out, so for about 2 months they thought I had Crohns disease. Then after the Colonoscopy they were like Quit taking Vioxx, within a week all my symptoms went away. This was about a year before Vioxx was taken off the market. Also I had been on Vioxx for a year before I had any of these problems. I thought it was a miracle drug.

Right after my fusion they put me on Celebrex and I had my reservations, even with the fact they give Celebrex for people with intestine problems. We'll about 2 weeks ago, I felt bad my food wasn't digesting right, then started vomiting and couldn't stop. Long story short was in the hospital for 3 days and I had a intestinal blockage. Saw a Gastro doctor and he said, for right now quit taking the Celebrex again. Most of my problems have cleared up, but I'm in tons more pain. One of the RARE side effects of Celebrex is instestinal blockage, like 1 out of 1000. And I'm that one. :S

But on both drugs they worked great till after long terms of use something in me doesn't work right on ME. Funny thing is I can take Mobic and Voltaren and other Nsaids and not have a problem what so ever and their harder on the stomach. The only one I never had problems with was Bextra and it was removed from the market the same time Vioxx was.

Why I wish my doctor will let me go back to another NSAID but he can't till I'm fused. :S :(
  • My Dr. said it was ok to take ibuprofen 800 , no more then 3 a day , he said that after that , it will start messing with the fusion , I only take 1 to 2...All these drugs we are talking about ARE NSAIDS....even the 800,s...I prefer them...I took one Celebrex....not good.....some days I take nothing..Here is a list...

What NSAIDS are approved in the United States?

The complete list of approved NSAIDs is very long. The following list contains only NSAIDs that are commonly used:

* aspirin
    * celecoxib (Celebrex)
    * diclofenac (Voltaren)
    * diflunisal (Dolobid)
    * etodolac (Lodine)
    * ibuprofen (Motrin)
    * indomethacin (Indocin)
    * ketoprofen (Orudis)
    * ketorolac (Toradol)
    * nabumetone (Relafen)
    * naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)
    * oxaprozin (Daypro)
    * piroxicam (Feldene)
    * salsalate (Amigesic)
    * sulindac (Clinoril)
    * tolmetin (Tolectin)
  • Oh how I wish Orudis KT was still on the market. The manufacturer just stopped selling it over the counter. No reason from the FDA. They just s--k! LOL That was a fantastic anti-inflammatory. I am pretty sure it can still be obtained with an RX. I don't take any orally at this time. Injections and Voltaren Gel. I don't think the gel works at all. But I keep trying!
  • I tried it and after a couple of months it did nothing except give me bad GI cramps. I got off it and tried Oxaprozin. The generic Daypro variant. Cheap and very effective for me. Got taken off all of that long before surgery.

Post op fusion my neuro gave me Flector Patches. I use them but it is hard to tell if they do anything. They are listed as an NSAID.
  • Graham,

I have a box of Flector patches. I may use them for soundproofing. As far as I can tell, they have absolutely no other use. LOL! Not even sure about the soundproofing.

Traci

P.S. my Lidoderm patches work much better.
advertisement