Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCAR TISSUE - A nasty word

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
Just ask anyone who has had surgery and then know what scar tissue is all about.

There is the inner and outer scar tissue. Both need to be addressed sooner then later

The outer scar tissue just gets to look worse over time if not taken care off. Massage, movements and many times over the counter ointments can help. I've been using high levels of concentrated Vitamin E to minimize the scars

The inner scar tissue when not addressed is what can give you all that stiffness and pain after your are on the mend.
I'e been told you need to aggressively attach the inner scar tissue about 3-6 months post surgery and that you have up to a year to do something. After that, not much can help.

I can verifying that with my lumbar surgery and scar tissue,
so know I am having my Deep Tissue guy work on my shoulder scar. My surgeon agrees and think its important

What are you scars?
What are you doing about it?
How is it effecting you?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Hey Ron,

bjferge posted a great topic about this issue. There was a lot of discussion and a lot of really good info traded. I am currently having PT for scar tissue and rehabbing. My PT works me over well for scar tissue. If she can't get it with deep tissue massage, only a surgeon can. She frequently has me in tears. I digress...

Here's a link... http://www.spine-health.com/forum/chronic-pain/scar-tissue-removal

• Lately my PT is finding more muscle spasms throughout my back. I've been thinking that it might be good to supplement my PT sessions with a massage therapist. I have about a 7 inch scar on my upper back and since I am prone to scar tissue this is probably a good idea.

To be honest I've hesitated because I don't want to insult my therapist who is great but tends to put down everyone else. And I'm afraid that if I mix treatment together he will blame any new problems on the other therapist.

Plus anyone have any idea on how to find the time for all this?? One thing I can say for certain is that if I ever have to have surgery again I will take the maximum time off because the followup visits and therapy are impossible to do while working and healing.
  • I have a 7 inch scar on my lower back from my TLIF and a 3 inch scar on my neck from my ACDF.

After my ACDF, once the scar was healed, my PA told me to put my fingers on my scar and rotate the skin around to keep the scar tissue from attaching to anything inside. I don't know if it really did anything, but I don't have any issues with that.

But nobody at all has addressed my lumbar scar, not my surgeon, PA or PT. I know they massaged it a bit, but other than that, it is what it is and will obviously remain that way. I hope it doesn't ever become a problem for me in the future.

• the nastiest four (4) letter word in the English dictionary