Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jcojjco Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:S Hey anyone have an idea when to expect the recovery pain free to kick in as post op 4 weeks ago.

• what surgery did you have? believe me if it was spinal could be a long road.
  • It also depends on which pain you are talking about. The first thing most people feel is the operation pain from them cutting and stitching you. Then after a week or so that stops and you start to feel the pain from any muscle or bone that they went through. Around week three the meds they put into your incision stop working and you might feel more discomfort. And of course there is all the pain and discomfort as you rebuild the muscles that were not used before surgery as much. Another cause of pain can be muscle spasms or knots that happen because your muscles are trying to guard the surgery areas. These can last for weeks, months or forever.

If you can tell us what you had done you will find people who can tell you what their experience was. But remember everyone is different so just because Jane was running a marathon at 3 weeks or Joe is still bed-ridden at 6 months doesnt mean the same will happen to you.
  • MY surgery was Cervical Forminotomy on the C5/C6 area.
    Had an artifical disc placement 4 years ago and then this time had the nerve compression problem.

Surgery was 5 weeks today and had lots of ups and downs.

Had my pain killers increased as only on Digesics now on Tramadol.

With my exercises from Physio I seem to feel worse as neck pain and muscle spasms in left shoulder area.

Not yet doing much housework well seeping floors but cant vacuum and lifting is restricted to 5 kilos.

Now I notice all my fingertips are blistering and peeling god whats that from?

Hard to have sensation in fingertips on left hand.
  • Five weeks isn't very long after spine surgery, so don't try and hurry the recovery.

I can tell you that after my 3-lvl ACDF, I had pain in the lower back part of my neck and strong muscle spasms in my back - my surgeon said this is all normal due to the invasion at the spine and fusion taking place. Unfortunately, I still have those problems but we're assuming that it's now from an incomplete fusion at C6/7.

As for the fingertips, I'd definitely call your surgeon on that. You may be having an allergic reaction, blood issues, it could be anything but should be looked at as it's not normal.

And for the record, no, you shouldn't be vacuuming for a long while yet - that's a very difficult thing on our spines. So please keep taking care of yourself, you're still deep in the recovery stage at five weeks. Recovery can take months.

• I take it from the type of your surgery that is a posterior incision. If so it is not uncommon to have a longer recovery from that incision itself. That type of surgery is very difficult on your muscles themselves. Check with your surgeon about the possibility of starting maybe some message therapy and see if that will help. Also muscle relaxers maybe your best friend as well, and may provide more relief than any of the pain killers. You might also want to try some rotating ice and heat or the combination of one on the front and one on the back. But above all posterior surgery just takes longer to heal from.
  • Be careful with PT. I began PT stretches @ 4 wks post op & it led to several "trap strains" & "frozen shoulder syndrome". Muscles are too tender & inflammed at that point, from the intrusion. Muscles shorten/shrink because of the body's natural defense mechanism to "guard" against any the harm done. Like "shrugging shoulders". Spasms could last several months. It's part of mother nature & you can't fool mother nature. Explains why we are non-responsive to conservative methods. Ice helped reduce inflammation pain & a steriod like "meldrose dosepak" will reduce inflammation also. Helps with the burning sensation too. Not until 8 mos post op were my muscles were ready for stretching, right after my cortisone injection was given in the top left shoulder. Previous treatment & injections were not effective because of the inflammation. Tried everything imaginable. Guessing mother nature won the battle & finally gave up, thus allowing me to finally get aggressive with PT, strecthing muscles to normal lengths & breaking up adhesions that had formed up & dowm my spine..
    You are very early in recovery! Perhaps the surgeon didnt prepare you for this. SURPRISE!
    FYI: I sent you a PM ; ) pls read it
  • Hi new here, I had fusion at C6-C7 2 + yrs ago and unfortunately have spinal cord damage have recurring pain in neck cracking and popping. I am experiencing pain which doesn't stop, I want to know if the fusion could be causing any of the pain or if it is justifiably the spinal cord damage? I have so many drug allergies that taking pain pills Lortab specifically is the only option and am sick of it. I have insomnia, but am tired all the time. help!!!