Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not spinal - BUT

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
April 8th I had a total shoulder replacement surgery. Now on the outside, that doesnt seem to be spine related. Only after a while, can you see just how much everything is related.

So far, my recovery is going ok. I just didnt realize how much I would miss the use of one arm. Little things, like, washing your hair, putting on deodorant, slicing veggies, all are impacted

I am in my third week of PT and it is going along. I visited the doctor yesterday and he has ramped up some of my PT actions, but still nothing to do with strengthening, just stretching

But what was happening is that my cervical muscles were going into a frenzy and my rhomboid muscle wanted to freeze up again. So, its almost like back to square one regarding my spinal problems I had prior to this surgery.

Next week I can start to drive as long as I am not in my sling. So that is good news.

I am so thankful for an excellent and caring surgeon and to have a Physical Therapy center where from the Admin/Desk people to the Techs to the Therapist are all working to help me. It might help that I've been going to this place for over 4 years now and they know me.

They know me as a patient, they know me as a volunteer there and they are seeing me again as a patient.

I am blessed in the fact that I have the best center around.. At least it is for me.

Its so much easier to deal with anything when you have people on your side!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron I don't know how you handle not driving all this time. That would make me crazier than anything.

I agree that PT is extremely important. My husband found our current PT about 7 years ago. He had been going somewhere else but was not happy. The doctor suggested that he find a place with a pool and here we are. Of course they don't do much pool work - that is mostly for advertising purposes.

For many years, through many different injuries and surgeries my whole family has gone to this PT. It's not a fancy place and the equipment is not brand new. Its in the basement of a health club so summer can be a little funky. But the therapists have always been excellent and that's what counts.

My dilemma now is that they are down to one PT but still seeing the same number of patients. I love him but he is stretched too thin to give proper treatment. Often I wait half an hour after doing my exercizes for massage since he is the only one who can do it. I'm guessing that much cool down time is defeating the purpose.

I can appreciate that he wants the "right" therapist and won't settle but how long can I hold on? I'm tempted to try another office near my house. But will it be any better? Do I want to mix my care?

I'm curious how does everyone finds their PT or massage therapists?
  • I was glad to see you posting something regarding your surgery. Maybe you have, but I haven't seen anything. I have been wondering how the heck you've been.
    Rhomboids are almost impossible to settle down. I wish you the best of luck with that because you'll need it. In my case, cortisone injections did not help in the beginning. I was non-responsive to all trmnt for about 8 mos. I did a few packs of "Meldrose Dospaks" & it seems to help with inflammation pain.
    It seems as though you are surrounded with EXCELLENT care!!!
    God Bless You
  • Good to hear you're at your favorite Physiotherapy place and recovering well. I myself have done that rhomboid muscle stretch with both arms overhead and moving the shoulders back. But I can't imagine how you're doing it other than massage. Are you able to lift your arm over your shoulder yet? I hope you recover well so that you're able to drive soon. Prayers for your full recovery. Charry

Kris-I found my PT and aqua therapy PT online at a special children with disabilities center. I was surprised they have adults there and disability memberships as well as a regular full gym. I think you should post this great question.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN