Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have weakness and can't get up from crouching down?

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Lower Back Pain
Since my back injury 2 years ago I've found it difficult getting up if putting clothes in dryer or crouching down to plant a flower. I can't get up on my own and one day a neighbor came over to help me get up. I'm trying to strengthen my core doing aqua therapy and exercise and walking but this weakness remains. Anyways I have another referral to my 4th Orthopedic Surgeon to see if he'll do surgery. Just wondered if anyone had this issue and did it resolve on it's own or after surgery? Thanks. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• I have a hard time getting up from stooping too.I usually have to have something to hold on to----I really don't know why,but it has been worse after being through the surgeries.
  • Yep, me too. I have to "walk" on my knees to get to a ledge or chair, etc to hold onto and pull myself up. No matter how many exercises or how hard I have worked, those muscles just won't strengthen. So, I don't have a solution for you. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. Hopefully your upcoming appointment will end in you getting some help. You've sure had a tough battle thus far.

By the way, I wanted to comment on you as a member here. It is so nice to read your posts--you are always supportive and helpful. Even though you are going through way too much yourself, you are here all the time helping others. Here's a big shoutout to you! =D>
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Charry, I have had my fusion & can't get down far enough to take a bath, have to shower instead &
    it can be a panic type feeling when I do get part way down & then struggle to get up, especially if I'm alone in the house -
  • it all has to do with strength in your legs. if the strength is compromised by nerve impingement you will have trouble . if there is no permanent nerve damage surgery should bring back strength after you go through physical therapy.
    i find by putting one leg behind about 6 inches helps and as texascowgirl stated grab something with hands

• Howdy Charry,

"Not bad enough" for surgery in my back yet, so I get this often. If I am bent over loading the bottom of the dishwasher, bent over for a few minutes looking at something - I get stuck. My back is the restrict-or there - pain. If I try to pick something small up and I bend my legs without support, I have on occasion been forced to "sit down" on the ground, unfold the legs and get up real slow and cautious! The front of my thighs and top of my calf's give up!

Brenda :) I hope you feel better soon.
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yep, when I went in for physical therapy he found that I was quite weak in the front muscles of my thighs and was working a lot on those. I think the types of movements we avoid weakens other muscles as well.

• before the surgery i had to roll around on the ground a bit or use many of the other ways of getting up, with groaning and moaning added as are described here. after surgery that was one of the things i discovered first. i was actually able to squat down and get back up with my legs. the neuro said the nerve impingement was the cause of that weakness and since all had gone well i would discover many other things would come back to in time. yup, they did. thank god.
  • It is always harder to get up than it is to bend over for me too. I often find myself looking for something (or someone!) to help me if I stay in that hunched over position for too long. I just figured that my muscles are already tired enough trying to keep my back protected that it was just too much of a strain for them.
  • Yes i am going thru the same thing also, every time i go to docter i tell him about weakness and numbing in my legs(mostly left leg) and he says it will come back over time.
    i have not started p.t. yet so have to wait and see if that helps me.
    if i squat down i need to be by something that i can use to help push off of to get me up also, you are not alone.
    just takes time i guess. MY BEST

• I had it before surgery and still have it now.
    When I bend, I squat down, using my leg muscles, trying to keep my back straight. I can't get up again unless I have something to push on or someone to help.

I hope that I get the strength back again, because my knees are really taking the strain, and I'm having trouble with them now! :S
  • I had the same problem for years. It turned out it was my facet joint. I received an injection in the facet joint and I was a new person. I have had multiple back surgeries over the years but even as a child when I broke my back originally I had difficulty rising from a squatting position such as playing catcher on my softball team. I could never just jump up even as a child.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,422
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History