Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management Strategies List

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
I came up with this list of pain management strategies and options a few months ago, and thought sharing it could be helpful. I was also hoping you guys could add some of your favorite pain management strategies to it. I always like the feeling of having options, and I think sometimes I forget about the "easy" pain management tools I have at my disposal every day. I think we all have our laundry lists of a million things we've tried, and my thought with this is maybe there will be something on someone's list that will give someone some more ideas of things to *ask their doctor* about trying...For me, it was helpful to start with a long list like this, and then customize it crossing out the things that I know do not work, and adding details about the injections and meds that I have found helpful. It's also a great tool for tracking treatment so you don't lose track of what helps and what doesn't.
  • TENs
  • Physical Therapy
  • Acupuncture
  • Medical Massage
  • Yoga/Pilates (gentle)
  • Floating in the pool/Aqua therapy
  • Chiropractics
  • Anti-inflammatory Diet
  • Supplements
  • Biofeedback
  • Counseling with a pain psychologist
  • Deep Breathing Exercises
  • Relaxation Response/Meditation
  • Distractions (reading, listening to music, etc)
  • Dry Needling
  • Injections
  • Medications

• lala you must have been reading my mind this morning. So often we just keep doing the same thing and getting the same result. Until something shakes us up and we try something else and realize there are other options that might or might not work well.

And writing it down makes a big difference. I will admit that years ago I used to watch my mother-in-law go to doctors appts with a little notebook and thought she was nuts. She liked everyone to think she was very organized - that's another story. I poo-pooed it until these last few months. I still find it hard to put things in writing mainly because I;m afraid someone (family or friends) will see it and make fun of me. I guarantee that if you try writing things down for a week you will be amazed at what you learn about yourself!!

An item to add to your list would be heat and ice. Also just rest and or laying down to "decompress".

The list is a great idea because we do forget to go back to the basics. The last few nights I started using a heating pad right before bed. One of the first things to try and I forgot all about it.

Also just a reminder to everyone that you should speak to your doctor before doing anything. And make sure he is aware of everything you are trying. The one that scares me the most are the supplements and vitamins. I never realized just how dangerous some combinations could be. Make sure you research these carefully and clear it with your doc. Just because Aunt Jennie uses it doesn't make it right for you.

Again I love this list and will be using it myself. Thanks
  • Had to log in quick to add these babies to your list:

Platinum Infrared Heating Pad

Lidoderm Patches

ThermaCare Heating Wraps

*Turkey Baster* (love ya, Jim Howie) :*

Wishing you all less pain each day,

• Icing, Cold packs.
    Not sure if this goes under TENS of massage, but vibration (sleep number bed) sometimes distracts heavy dull aching too.
  • Thanks for sharing guys :) I love having some new things to add to the list. I slapped myself on the forehead for forgetting ice and heat. Haha, I guess that's why I like having a list so I don't forget the easy basics!
  • 1) Hot Bath with epsom salts

2) Loose weight

• I'll repeat what Lalal said... Turkey baster? :?
  • Unfortunately a fellow spiney here had issues with going to the bathroom or lack thereof. It reached a critical point and with no else tool handy to help with the situation, a turkey baster was used to relieve the situation...

You mind can fill in the rest of the hows...

This discussion has been closed.