Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will I be able to walk around for about 30mins 10days after surgery?

DaddyODDaddyO Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I believe my surgeon is going to do an ALIF on me. We first discussed ADR but my insurance won't cover it, so me and his P.A. discussed a fusion going through the front today on the phone. I will be getting this done in July. I own my own business and cannot take off more than 10days or so. I only need to be able to walk around for about 30mins at a time. And drive. I need to be able to work about 2-3hrs a day but not all at the same time. Is this going to be possible about 10 or so days post-op?

• In my opinion, I don't think you'll be able to. You need to discuss your restrictions with your surgeon. I have a feeling you'll need to make other arrangements regarding your business.

Best wishes,

• No one can tell you anything for certain. But I would think that driving is a definate no-no just because you will still be on lots of meds that soon. Walking is a good therapy but it might only be a few minutes at a time that soon. Also what kind of walking? In an office is alot different than a factory or going to a client.

I would certainly make contingency plans. Hope for the best and plan for the worst. Maybe some tele-commuting. It's summer time maybe you could get a college student to drive you and be your gopher the first weeks if you don't have a family member who can do this.

Everyone is different. Your overall condition prior to surgery is also a big factor in recovery. See if your doctor will send you for PT before surgery to strengthen your muscles. Also shed those extra pounds if possible since almost everyone puts on a few in recovery.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • Hi there...just curious why he will go through the front (ALIF) vs. back (PLIF or TLIF)?

I haven't had a fusion but it was one of the options vs. revision Microdiscectomy on L5-S1. I was told to expect to be out of work 6-weeks. They told me on the rare occassion they had people ready to go back after 2-4 but 4 is the earliest.

But everyone is different. The one thing you need to consider is that if you are on narcotic meds, you should not be driving. Driving also jostles you and you need to react.

Good luck.
  • Wow - 10 days huh? I went out a week after my PLIF and walked about for about 30 min and man did I pay? The next day I was back on the meds (I hadn't had anything stronger post op than paracetamol and ibuprofen) and my wound got infected.
    There is no way I could have worked. You do need to plan for the unexpected. My wound infection lasted until nearly 6 weeks post op. It leaked like crazy so I couldn't really get dressed.