Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arm pain and numbness again/pain in the neck

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
So I decide to mow the grass last night, which I have not done in a very long time. Now I can not turn my neck, at all either way. If I do I get a really sharp pain in my neck. It is not muscles either, I usually know the difference. Seriously, I can't even mow grass anymore???? This is really starting to all get to me again. I can't do anything. I know, I know, it could be worse but it is driving me crazy that I changed so much after surgery and I am not getting better and still can not doing anything without having to pay for it later. I felt like I had gotten to a place where I was trying to accept all of this ad know that I am not the same and can not do all of what I used to but it seems like I can't do anything.

About a week ago my left arm started falling asleep and I have pain down to my elbow at times (it is not constant), which my right arm falling asleep and pain down my arm was what I ended up having surgery done to begin with.

It is all just so sad. I keep wondering what I will be like in ten, or even five more years and I just see a life of pain and being unable to do anything. And yes I am whining/venting/complaining/feeling sorry for myself, etc. I am sick and tired of this sh!t. Every time I think things are better, they go straight to hell again.

sorry all, had to let it out some.

• Sorry to hear you're having nerve pain. My Dr. told me to take Lyrica for sharp neck pains as I have C6-7 issues. I don't know if you're taking a nerve pain med or anything? I hope you can see your Dr. soon and find out what's up. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Mel,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to add, but I just wanted to say I hear you and am so sorry that you are having these arm symptoms again. I think no matter how much we accept where we are we all have days where we need to whine/vent/complain, so no apologies for having a day :) I really hope they can figure out what is going on and come up with something to help.

Hang in there and keep us posted...
  • Thanks all. It seemed like things were going so good and I got my hopes up, as the saying goes "too good to be true" It is such a roller coaster ride. I don't even know why I thought this was all going to go away.. I have had two doctors tell me this will probably be something I have to deal with forever and that the next surgery I have to have will be a pretty tough one.

It is all just so frustrating. I guess I am at least trying to take advantage of the fact that my pain is not better and I can't sleep, ever.... I changed my hours at work to come in early and leave early :) not sure how much of a good thing this is????

Anyway, I go back to see my pain doctor in two weeks. I am going to teel him what is going on. He took me off of the skelaxin and had me start Zanaflex but I do not like the Zanaflex at all. It made me feel weird the next morning and I can't take it during the day... I am going to give it another try this weekend and see again. I can't even stay awake, I keep flipping falling asleep writing this. Every few words and I am sleeping again.

I better try to take a short snooz while I am sitting at my desk before I fall over! Talk to you all soon. Man I wish I was home in bed still.

Take care
  • Don't take the Zanaflex around meals. That should help with the sleepiness. If you must take around meals, commit at least an hour for a cat nap before trying anything or go for a long walk about 3o minutes after you take it.

• And try not to take it with soda or carbonated beverages ... tends to really set it off.
  • He told me to take it only before bed and not during the day. I took it real late one night and still had the remaining effects the next day lingering.

I guess what I do not get is how this muscle relaxer is supposed to help me when I only take it at night....
  • crazy as it sounds its true - they tell you to only take at night time when the scripts bottle says take 1 3x daily - my doc asked me last week "how are the flexeril working" & I said "dont know cause im asleep" - last month someone finally listened to me and prescribed some robaxin & I can take those 3 x' daily w/o getting tired - I just chalk it up as another thing that really pisses me off with my lengthly & painful recovery -
    I have been asking for 13 MONTHS NOW for something to take during the day to relax muscle spasms
  • I haven't gotten an e-mail from you for a while so assumed you were outside enjoying the weather and looking forward to the house and pool. Sorry to hear that isn't the case...
    Jeez, I'm old and this stuff really irks me, you are so young to already be starting out with this stuff.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    had suggested to me that I am not to mow the grass ..
    but depending on the state I live in ... I could consider smoking it. (Of course I don't live in one of those states - Just my luck).

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• First I want to say that I used to be tall, 5'10" and now I'm a short 5'8", after the first surgeon cut too much spine out and before so many of my disks collapsed. I mention this because my husband is very tall at 6'5", it hurts everytime I put my arms around his neck.
    I Know I have problems with my neck but in all these years I haven't been able to get any help because no doctor will bother to listen. They just deal with either my lower back or my knees. Just ignore me when I try to mention anything else. I can turn my head to the right and this horrible, shocking pain will shoot down my left arm. It hurts so bad that I kind of jump and pull my arm back. Actually, you can watch my arm flip into the air by moving my neck certain ways! This has been going on for years and is getting worse by the day. And my arm is getting numb along with my hand. I drop EVERYTHING!
    It's pretty bad when I can't even give my husband a decent hug anymore, just a one armed hug. As for venting, if you can't do it here then where can you? At least we all know what you're going through and understand. Believe me, I have those days too. And like you I wonder what the future will bring, if I'm in this much pain at my age what will it be like when I'm actually getting older? How much worse can the arthritis get? Sometimes it's just too much, then I wake up the next day and find new strength to go on.
    May I ask how many years you've been dealing with this?

• Metalneck said:
    had suggested to me that I am not to mow the grass ..
    but depending on the state I live in ... I could consider smoking it. (Of course I don't live in one of those states - Just my luck).

Sometimes it works and makes me feel better, sometimes it can actually intensify the pain. Odd! You made me smile with that comment.
  • I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.

I believe that the symptoms may be related to a cervical disc problem, and you may need to get an MRI / X ray of the cervical spine to try and find the cause for your recurrent symptoms.
  • About 2 1/2 years so not as long as most on here but too long for me already. And I am only 30, just turned 30 in March. it is all just so damn frustrating!!!! The pain makes me so grouchy and depressed.
  • Hell I try to enjoy it and then pay for after the fact. Our neighbor was out of town all weekend so he gave us the key to the pool. I sat in a lounge chair all weekend. It was nice but normally I would be jumping off the diving board and playing with the kids or something and I am so afraid of hurting myself that I don't.

And we are getting a horse, which is awesome for the kids but I know I won't be able to ride. My sister in law got him last year and has not had time to ride him, he is an Appaloosa. I will try to ride and find out the hard way as usual though :)

How have you been doing? I got your emails but have not even had a chance to respond. It has been a complete nightmare at work, I guess it is better to be busy than bored and no job though...
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    refers to chronic pain as THE BEAST. Not sure if he coined the term but he is right on the money.

30 is too young to be having to be going through this ... gee and I compain that mine started up really bad about 6 years ago when I was 42.

One good aspect of a social networking group like this is that you do see and learn that you are not alone, and that other are in worse shape the you are.

It is easy to get fixated on our problems and forget that there are others that do understand and deal with the same or similar issues. When I get really frustrated I visit this site. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 it helps me remember how fortunate I am ... it can be worse ... and to count the blessings that I do have.

Is the glass half empty of half full? Neither - you need to use a different glass. You choose the size ... the amount you have is the amount you have.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I am greatful for everything I have, its just at times it gets to be too much.

Like the other day when my boys asked me when we are going paintballing. Never! I didn't say that but I can't do that. I just hate that I can't do anything they like doing anymore. My husband had been building my dragbike and I will never be able to ride it now.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to be alive and at least be able to spend time with my family. It is really more me being selfish and wanting do things that I can't.

And it can be worse I know. My brother passed away in a pretty horrific car accident when he was 17 and if I could get him back I would live with all of the pain in the world. I know I am lucky to even be here. Plus the stress of my father in law; in the last few years he has had a quad bypass, failed kidney transplant, and now lung cancer. He is a severe diabetic who has to have dialysis 4 times a week and now chemo 4 times a week. He is in constant pain and they have him so drugged up he can't even think straight. He is so scared and I feel so bad for him, I mean really what do you say to him, we are scared for him.

Stress never helps our pain....
  • Hello MeIW,

I was reading through the forums and thought I'd respond to yours. I am 30 years old and have had the same issues as you, except I haven't had surgery. There was a recent period where I absolutely dreaded bedtime....the pain and tingling got the best of me once I laid down. I was up and down all night, even crying due to the horrible pain I felt. During the day I was VERY limited in the activities I could do and frequently dropped things. After a month and 1/2 of this I finally went to the Dr. and started taking muscle relaxers, vicodin, and went to therapy. Here are some things that have helped tremendously:

-Meds, only as needed now
    -Therapy (Physical therapy helped strengthen the muscles I avoided and the modalities helped the pain (heat packs, massage, etc.)
    -Breaking up cleaning tasks in short periods throughout the week instead of all on weekends.
    -Do not carry bags on my shoulder anymore. Have rolling bag/tote for work stuff and small purse or clutch. Husband carries groceries/heavy bags.
    -Researched ergonomic strategies for desk work on the internet and also consulted with Occupational Therapist. Specifically chair/desk/monitor height, ergonomic computer mouse (BIG help), foot rest, stretching or walk every 20 mins, improving posture and also sit on therapy ball sometimes.
    -Soaking in warm bath with Baththerapy epson salts, electric head pad, icy/hot roll-on, small vibrator.
    -Delegate or avoid tasks that require a lot of repetitive motion (e.g. raking, scrubbing, blow drying hair).

I hope you find this helpful. Sucks we have to deal with this and will probably always have to modify our lifestyle, but like you said it could be worse. Stress also exaggerates the physical pain, so don't forget to do fun things that make you happy!
  • So I told him everything that was going on with my arm and all of the increased pain I am having, as much as I didn't want to, plus told him about some things I have started trying to do so i didn't come off as totally negative. I like this guy more each time I go to him :) Thank god, if I have a humorless, rude, rush me out of the door type doctor again, I think I may have cracked by now.

Anyway, he said he does not want to jump the gun and assume the worst (things are collapsing, ugh).... yet. He put me on a different muscle relaxer (third one in 3 months) called Amrix that I only have to take every 24 hours (YAY), plus an oral steriod called Medrol, and then I am still on the Roxicodone and the Duragesic patches. He said right now he is going with the assumption of inflammation. He thinks stuff is inflammed all over the place in my cervical area and wants to try a steriod to see if that calms things down. If not, we are back to getting an MRI :( it's like you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, or just begin to realize there actually may be one, and it isn't a light at all, it is a big ass train with no brakes!!!!!!!

Haulda -
    I am sorry to hear you are in the same boat, and the same age, it is disheartening whether you are older or younger, but when you have little ones and can't play with them or do much of anything with them, as well as if you have grand kiddos, it is just sad for anyone honestly. But I guess we have to make the most of what we have, as hard as it is.

Well I am out of here, finally, in 8 minutes and counting. Have a good one all. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.