Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 week Post-op ALIF

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I used to come on the forum looking for answers in the past couple of years. And now I have finally had a fusion and have come on for support as we all do when we are down.

I havent seen a lot of people have a level 2 fusion L4L5S1 via abdomen. Is it less common?

Right after surgery was the worst, as expected...and when I came home from the hospital I thought I was never going to heal.
Now I am walking several walks a day, driving and feeling much better. A day at a time, of course. And yes..one step fwd, two steps back. But at least things are changing.

How quick did your PMs want to take you off meds? Mine wants to do it right away..but I am hesitant..what if surgery didnt work. Being my 4th one..I'm allowed to be a little skeptical!!

Thanks for reading.

• I also had L4-S1 fusion surgery, ALIF, with PEEK cages, a plate and screws. This was done in Nov. 2009.

I also had L2-L4 fusion, PLIF, with rods, screws and my harvested bone. This was in 2003.

With both of my surgeries I did not have a PM. I only saw my surgeon and he determined what meds I needed. He basically left it up to me and how I was feeling, and would give me a refill or a different med to try.

Thankfully, he never forced me to stop my meds. He trusted me to take what I needed and not more.

Good luck with your recovery,
  • Wow! It sounds like you are doing great at 2 weeks post op!

Your driving! That is amazing!

You are right though, it is a long journey and it seems to have several steps back.

For me, it almost seems weekly, especially with PT.

Have you started Physical Therpy? You will most likely need meds while you are going through the rehabilitation process of recovery.

There are so many muscles that have been guarding presurgery and post surgery, as well as having been cut through, moved around etc.

I keep a pain log. I log what I taken, when, and why. I also write down what else I have tried, ie heat, ice, tens, etc. I just write it in a spiral and I take this to my PM appointments.

That is all he wants, to just know that I really need them (duh...:)) and that I am trying other things.

He also prescribes neurotin and flexeril.

Maybe you should just talk to him....I'm sure he will work with you. and if not, it's time to find a new one that will partner with you.

Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing great, but I am sure it is hard with 2 little ones to care for! :)