Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

gettin down to it

johnro42jjohnro42 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well guys and dolls, im getting very anxious. 4 days to the surgery ACDF. i dont think ill sleep much till then. this is always the worst part. the mind starts to think of all the things that can go wrong, the doubts, and the overwhelming urge to call up and say "cancel it". been through the back thing, and i know this neck surgery should be better, i am still not thrilled lol. i feel like the lion in the wizard of oz whos trying to be brave but at the end asks to be talked out of it. tryin to get my mind off of the subject, just makes it come back. i have all the supplies ready, the doc is ready, my aftercare is set. so you would think im good to go. fact of the matter is, IM SCARED TO DEATH. boy i guess we men are big babies at heart. well thanks for listening

• What level or levels of your neck? Best wishes to you. My cervical surgery has been very successful. It is so normal to be scared before spine surgery, but I have to agree that men are babies heehee! My hubby had a knee arthroscopy and man he drove me crazy. I gave him a valium to settle him down lol.

• hes doing the C6-C7. yea i guess we are. thanks be to god that he gave females the reproductive rights, of we may have gone extinct long ago. lol
  • I think you're right on that one! Again, best of luck to you.
  • Hang in there! You just have to get through the next 4 days! Try to do something fun each day.

Go for a long ride if the weather is nice.

Go out for a good dinner~try to eat well these next days, all your favorite foods. You may not feel like eating much for a few days after.

You can ask for something to ease the anxiety while you wait. Most doctors acknowledge the anxiety before hand and are willing to help.

I asked for something when I got to the hospital on the day of surgery. This was my 3rd lumbar surgery and I just didn't want to lay there waiting and thinking.

As a result, I hardly remember the prep! I was happy, smiling and sleepy! :)

Hang in there! We are here for you! Enjoy this Friday! TGIF!!

• Wishing you a great weekend. :-) Try to relax and do something you really enjoy.

The anticipation is horrid, but once you are on the other side and on your way to recovery, the relief is great. Then you just need to allow your body to heal itself and follow the rules.

Hopefully, this is the way to improve your quality of life.
  • I haven't had surgery yet but before any procedure the night before I always have chamomile tea or warm milk to help me sleep or better yet a mild sedative or sleeping pill. You've been in pain a while I hope you get the pain relief after your surgery. Prayers you'll concentrate on getting things in your home at a higher level so you won't have to bend down after your surgery. Prayers you feel calmer and for your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you know that im still gonna worry, lol but thank you all for your suggestions and ill try my best.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If it's any help my 2006 ACDF was one of the easiest surgeries I've undergone and one of the few where symptom relief was significant upon waking from surgery (the other was my gallbladder removal where I felt 10x better in the recovery room than I had felt in months).

Best Wishes!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hey John,

I know the feeling. I was a basket case prior to my fusion. Being my 3rd lumbar surgery, you would think I would have been fine. But I knew this surgery was much bigger and more complicated than my other 2 combined. I requested and was given Valium as soon as the nurse was able to get me into a gown and get my name. I hope you can receive the same.

Btw, nice pic. What do you ride?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Keep us posted :)

• Before my first surgery I had to wait about 2 hours after the nurses had me hooked up to IV because of OR delay. My husband tried to calm me down but just the waiting seemed like torture. When I went for the 2nd, I took my IPod and ask my husband to leave. I wanted to lie quietly and tried to meditate (deep breathing learned from yoga). If I had known that I could have asked for Valium I would have definitely asked for it.

Best of luck. Perhaps you can rents some DVDs that you have been wanting to see.